Anyone familiar with this?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Default Anyone familiar with this?

I found this lavender beauty on CL. I am fond of my other older Kenmore, although it does give me issues from time to time. Before I drive nearly 3 hours for this, anyone have any experience with or knowledge about this machine?

Any info/advice/comments are greatly appreciated as always!
Attached Thumbnails 00j0j_381ikj6ncfl_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:59 AM

I don't have one like it, but if I was close, I'd have to have it. LOL
Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM

That's exactly how I feel Barny! I'm just starting to run out of room, lol. I love the looks of this machine though! I probably should've mentioned it's a Kenmore 52
Old 09-06-2014, 01:27 PM

That's a pretty machine. I'd be tempted.
Rodney
Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
..... I probably should've mentioned it's a Kenmore 52
Hi Rach L. You may not know them, but it would be handy to know the complete model number of your machine. (The ad may not have said.) Different submodel numbers make a difference with comparing sewing machines (kind of like saying “Singer 15” could mean a bunch of different models), and Kenmore is no exception.

I have a Sears Kenmore “Model 52” that is a 158.521, and mine is a light green! It also has different text on it than yours. Mine has a little round dot that says “Sears”, and then the word “Kenmore” in script lettering, while yours is all block lettering.

Mine is missing the bobbin case, so I’ve yet to ever try it out to see how it works, but Kenmore 158 models tend to be good solid machines, as far as a “Singer Fan” like me can tell....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine129_01.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Yeah, the ad didn't mention the complete model number info...I suppose that would be pretty helpful. Well, nobody has said anything negative about the old Kenmores from this generation, so I may just take the plunge. After all, I don't have a lavender machine.....

The other Kenmore I have is a 158.1703 and has several cams (this lavender one does too). Does anyone know if they will fit both machines? The 158.1703 I have has been giving me issues when I sew with lighter fabrics, so I'm tempted to replace it with this new one (I cannot figure out what's wrong with it ), but I'll hang on to the cams if they will fit the new machine.

Thanks for all the feedback, I truly do appreciate it!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 PM

I own the exact same machine as CD, though not quite in such good shape. It was free and is missing part of its tension assembly. I also have the manual and if you need a copy, I can scan and upload if you'd like.

This machine (the 52) takes the flat disc 'E' cams. They are double-sided, so two designs per cam and they were made in two colors, mint green and red. Color does not matter. The machine will only do straight stitch until you add the zig-zag cam, so it is essentially a straight stitch machine with a cam assembly instead of a cam stack or built-in zig-zag. I really like this stitch architecture.

The 1703 takes the 'C' or Top Hat cams, so the cams for these machines aren't interchangeable. The 1703 was one of the more higher-end machines in its day. Worth fixing and I guarantee that you can fix it yourself.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Well, if you can guarantee it, you have to mentor me through the repair process, lol. At one time, I had it sewing nicely, and it was my favorite machine. I just don't know what and where something went wrong?
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 PM

I'd be very happy to help in any way I can. Can you describe the behavior?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 PM

The last time I used the machine I had just finished cleaning and oiling it. I thought it would be good to go. However anytime I tried to sew a lighter weight fabric, I got either bird nesting, or no stitches....just holes where the needle had gone through the fabric. When I tried to sew some denim, it would sew a little, bog down, then take off like a rocket. I also noticed at times the needle will strike the plate. Not sure why that kept happening either. I did change the needle, even brands, but no luck. I was fortunate enough to get some suggestions from some nice people on here a few months back, but I have yet to figure out the issue(s).