Anyone know what this is?

Old 04-20-2022, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: South of St Louis
Posts: 822
Default Anyone know what this is?

This cup with the lid was in a Kenmore desk(?) holding a 117-95, same as this one

circa mid 40s based on the manual and parts list with a stamp on it indicating part numbers were changing in 1947. Anyway, the cup is about 2" in diameter and it was held in the wooden holder in the picture attached to the inside front of a drawer (which is why I think of it as a desk). It has a little lid that slides over to open/close the smaller opening. The desk top was in such bad shape (i.e. beyond my limited woodworking abilities) that it did not survive the screening process on making it into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails 20220412_165152.jpg  
JoeJr is offline  
Old 04-20-2022, 06:32 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 16,073

An ink holder?
Onebyone is offline  
Old 04-20-2022, 06:46 AM
Power Poster
SusieQOH's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 15,217

Looks like an old-fashioned ink well.
SusieQOH is offline  
Old 04-20-2022, 07:10 AM
Super Member
OurWorkbench's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,285

Yes, it is Kenmore's version of an ink well. Here is a post about the Singer desk cabinet 42 (not all had the ink well) Singer No. 42 Cabinet- Art Decor
and Singer's by itself Bakelite ink well for Singer cabinet

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
OurWorkbench is offline  
Old 04-20-2022, 07:34 AM
Power Poster
sewbizgirl's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 26,119

I have that cabinet/desk too, with a 201 in it, and it has an ink well.
sewbizgirl is offline  
Old 04-20-2022, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: South of St Louis
Posts: 822

An ink well...I never would have guessed. Thanks everybody!
JoeJr is offline  
Old 05-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Central, NC
Posts: 2,741

My understanding is that these cabinets were used for sewing and then a "writing desk" when closed. I have a 15-91 in that cabinet also but since I don't need a writing desk (actually have an old one) and don't use ink, I use that glass cup to hold straight pins. Love the machine and the cabinet. It was a gift to me from my husband after finding it in a local antique shop with a multitude of attachments in the drawers.
KLO is offline  
Old 05-14-2022, 04:37 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,920

How fascinating that it has an inkwell. I will be on the lookout for something like that in my garage sale wanderings. That is so cool.
toverly is offline  
Old 05-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Super Member
Fabric Galore's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,478

What a find! I had a Parker fountain pen for years and I still have a bottle of blue ink in my desk drawer. The ink has probably dried up by now but, if I ever find another Parker fountain pen in working order, I will definitely grab it up.
Fabric Galore is offline  
Old 05-22-2022, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 989

A ink well for a ink pen.
Pat M. is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter