Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Auto Stitch" treadle machine... what is it???? >

"Auto Stitch" treadle machine... what is it????

"Auto Stitch" treadle machine... what is it????

Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Default "Auto Stitch" treadle machine... what is it????

there is one on CL... wondering who it was made by, and how hard it would be to find parts if needed. It looks to be in one piece, and the wood looks nice. Asking $100... thinking that is probably a good deal?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM

$100 seems to be about average here for most treadles. Some with much higher asking prices but they don't sell well. Really can't give any sort of accurate appraisal though. Too many unknowns. Can you post the link? It might help people ID who really made your machine and what the auto stitch feature is.
Rodney
Old 07-08-2015, 01:29 PM

it seems to be the model, not a feature...

http://reading.craigslist.org/art/5108849863.html
Old 07-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Looks like a badged National to me. It's not super uncommon, but the only way to get parts if from another machine. Occasioanlly someone will be selling just the parts on eBay.

BTW- I'd pay $55 in a heart beat for that cabinet and machine (if I was still looking for that model) - shuttles and bobbins aren't that hard if they are missing.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 PM

The treadle bases alone seem to be selling for unholy amounts on ebay. Not long ago they could be found by the curb on trash day.

Hopefully everything is there but shuttles and bobbins (Boye 13) are available but they might cost as much as the sewing machine. Worth checking out if your looking for a treadle and hit Adamstown while your at it.

Jon
Old 07-09-2015, 04:52 AM

That is one issue that always bugs me. People will get a super deal on a machine - and then gripe that they don't want to pay MORE for a shuttle/bobbin than they paid for the machine.

While it's something to consider when making a purchase, what you may pay for a machine and what you may pay for supplies are two separate deals, and often the cheaper the machine - the MORE expensive the accessories/supplies are if you don't get them with the machine. It is one reason Singers will often be near the same price with or without supplies, because they aren't expensive or hard to get.

Others - if it's missing cams, pedal, attachments, you'd better look around because it may be nothing but a parts machine - as the only way you are going to get those is to buy a machine with them. I've bought several machines because of the accessories they came with - as it was the cheapest way to get what I needed.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
...if it's missing cams, pedal, attachments, you'd better look around because it may be nothing but a parts machine - as the only way you are going to get those is to buy a machine with them.
I have three machines that I cannot use because they do not have the Shuttles and I have a better chance of finding a machines with shuttle than I do the shuttle's alone....
Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Most likely it's all there and just needs a cleaning and servicing but you can't tell for certain unless it is looked at. Any missing or broken parts could be a deal breaker or bargaining chip. Sort of depends on how much you love the National"Auto Stitch". If just a mild interest and the ride long, a Singer would be easier on any parts and needles.

Jon
Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 AM

sooo... I picked this up yesterday (along with a Domestic with Godzilla finish) BOTH for $70!! The wood on this one is a bit rough, but the machine itself is BEAUTIFUL!!! The treadle moves easily, as well as the wheel and needle. Now to tell hubby lol
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pictures too!