Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Basic Sewing Machine Base Tutorial >

Basic Sewing Machine Base Tutorial

Basic Sewing Machine Base Tutorial

Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Nice job Rodney the only thing I would do differently is to rout out the bottom so the bottom would not show. It would then sit flush inside the frame. Great job on the tutorial.Skip
Thanks Glenn and everyone else for your kind words.
I thought of it and did just that on the one I built for my daughter but in the interest of keeping things simple decided to just nail the bottom on for this one. Cutting out the rabbets that were necessary for even this simple box can be challenging without the right tools. They can be done with nothing more than a hammer and chisel but are much easier with a tablesaw or router.
I debated whether I should build this box with hinges or an even simpler box that the machine just drops in. In the end I decided that though it was more difficult it was worth the extra steps to show people how to install the hinges.

This base was intended to be only a base, it's good for machines intended for display or machines fitted with a hand crank. If you want a lid you would need to make the base longer on the wheel side to clear the wheel. That would give you the extra compartment for the electrical box that you see on many vintage machines. I decided to keep things as simple as I could and still end up with a decent looking functional base so I designed the base without it. There seems to be a lot more machines floating around than there are bases or cases to go with them and I hope this helps people to decide those machines are worth saving too.

I strive for perfection but never quite reach it. This box is full of flaws. I think though that it meets it's goal of showing people that they can do something like this for themselves if they want to.

I do have a question. I've been looking on the internet trying to find suitable coverings to give a vintage look like the original boxes used from the 40s until plastic took over. So far I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas out there?
Rodney
Old 07-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Rodney, your tutorial is so good any one will be able to make a base for any machine. We all strive for perfection but we never make it. I am also looking for a suitable covering for the tops but never found any I like. I did find some once in automotive upolstry fabric that was thin enough and looked like the old stuff. I have been known to use course canvas and then varnish the heck out of it and it looked really good on the case. You can always paint it in the appropriate color before shellacing or varnishing. Just a thought but it does work.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM

This is impressive! Excellent work and terrific tute!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM

You Rock Rodney ! ! !
Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

The machine I learned on might have been an old 27 - for sure it was a hand crank. It has been just shy of 60 years. I also remember it was mounted on a couple 2X4s and then set on one of those old school desks that went in rows. The seat was in front but I stood behind there and hand cranked it. Then awhile back I picked up an old 27 mounted on 2X6s. Goes to show about anything is vintage appropriate... They improvised as needed, too. Maybe some old Yankee ingenuity was handed down to us.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM

nice job on it!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Nice Job! I have a 99 that I need to remount so this couldn't have come at a better time! Thanks for the legwork!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Great tutorial Rodney. See your tools reminded me that I have my father's brace, his old hand saw and hammer that looks very much like yours. Brings back memories. Thank you
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Rodney, your tutorial is so good any one will be able to make a base for any machine. We all strive for perfection but we never make it. I am also looking for a suitable covering for the tops but never found any I like. I did find some once in automotive upolstry fabric that was thin enough and looked like the old stuff. I have been known to use course canvas and then varnish the heck out of it and it looked really good on the case. You can always paint it in the appropriate color before shellacing or varnishing. Just a thought but it does work.
Canvas or fabric then paint or shellac isn't a bad idea. That might be the direction I end up going. It might be pretty close to what was done originally in some cases too.

Times change and it seems that the original covering materials used for vintage cases have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm sure there's someone somewhere sitting on a pile of the stuff but I can't find them. I tried searching suitcase restoration and drew a blank there too.

Most of what I've seen in the way of fake leather and alligator have been too thick. I don't think they would be appropriate, not to mention it would be difficult to get the corners right on them. From what I've seen (not much I admit) the original covers were thin.
I need to see (and feel) some in person but there are some wallpapers out there that look like they come pretty close on the computer screen. Next time I'm somewhere that sells a selection I'll take a look at the samples.

This does bring up another issue. If you plan on adding a covering to the outside of the case allow for the thickness of whatever you use. The hinges on mine are a really close fit and may not want to seat in the holes properly if I add a covering.
Rodney
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The machine I learned on might have been an old 27 - for sure it was a hand crank. It has been just shy of 60 years. I also remember it was mounted on a couple 2X4s and then set on one of those old school desks that went in rows. The seat was in front but I stood behind there and hand cranked it. Then awhile back I picked up an old 27 mouted on 2X6s. Goes to show about anything is vintage appropriate... They improvised as needed, too. Maybe some old Yankee ingenuity was handed down to us.
Miriam, like minds... this should be under "the machine I fiddles with today" well actually this weekend. Here is my version of a quick and easy base, will fit most old machines with a slight modification. Will post more later, also my own version of your necker nob, cuz I didn't want Corvette crossed flags on mine, (all they had)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483051[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]483052[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]483053[/ATTACH] I have too many treadle heads, and too little time for fancy cabinetry right now. More later if there's any interest
Attached Thumbnails 2014-07-13-10.49.52.jpg   2014-07-13-11.13.25.jpg   2014-07-13-13.12.38.jpg