Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder >

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder

Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I won't use it much until I get it painted. The grand kids are over this morning. Emma is supposedly going to have surgery so I have kids for the morning. They saw that machine and read it then pronounced it ick. I showed them the pictures of before and they were grossed out. It takes a lot to gross those guys out. They have seen some bad machines. The family I got the machine from sent a few before pictures but I have no idea how to load them here. They said that mess was actually a lot worse. He vacuumed it out before I saw it. The family was pleased I got it to work. That was the easy part in this case. Lovie thinks it needs heart decals.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM

If rust is the only problem, clean up and clear coat instead of a color??
Old 11-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
You mean keep it a steam punk look?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

After I posted yesterday Walter came in and started turning that steam punk machine. He loves the 8 ball spinner knob. It fit his hand pretty nice. He even got the idea which way the machine was suppose to turn in pretty short order. It was all he could do to get his little arm to go around and around. By the time he left he had it down though. He wanted to adjust the tension and I told him he could only turn the 8 ball. Some time ago I really thought he went in when nobody was looking and turned every single tension knob in the place and what ever else he could turn - then I caught him in the act.... So we had a little talk about that. He's almost 3 and has a speech delay - (he has had therapy a couple days a week) yesterday he said hippopotamus and elephant clear as a bell. He still can't say cat though. BUT he understands everything he is willing to listen to. I know where he gets it, too...
Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
You may be right - steam punk look.... My little grand son Walter got his mitts on that machine and had a blast. At first he had trouble turning it. Then he 'got it' and oh boy. It has an 8 ball spinner knob. This machine should appeal to most males - steam punk, sews through about anything and a has an 8 ball spinner knob.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498477[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails walter-hard-work-005.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

and no his hair is not really red - henna.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I should finish the story about the steam punk looking machine. I went camping and a man wearing a top hat bought it. He totally fell in love with it. I had a piece of plastic over the hole the slide plates cover - velcro fastened the plastic on to the wood base and you could see the stitches as they formed. Top Hat wanted to let kids see the stitches being made. I'm glad that one got a good home. So many machines that look like that get repainted only to lose their character. I simply cleaned it, made sure it sewed and put a good build up of shellac on the base until it was nice and smooth. It looks terrible but it does appeal to some people. He loved the refurbish decals, roughness and all.