Bentwood Case bottom repair

Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Bentwood Case bottom repair

I bought some Howards Restore-A-Finish and some Feed and Wax and then when I removed the machine from it's case to work I found this.

What is the best way to repair a slight crack in the bottom of a bentwood case? This one looks like someone sat the case on something hard and it tried to come through.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1025-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I bought some Howards Restore-A-Finish and some Feed and Wax and then when I removed the machine from it's case to work I found this.

What is the best way to repair a slight crack in the bottom of a bentwood case? This one looks like someone sat the case on something hard and it tried to come through.
Wow, except for that crack, it sure does look to be in great shape!!!

I am sure others will have repair advice for you, but one thing I am planning to do to a bentwood case I have, whose bottom is very warped and awful, is just replace the plywood bottom entirely. It is not great quality wood there; just ply. So, if you choose this route, be sure to post photos! I won't get to mine for a few months, I am afraid...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:38 PM

It is in good shape and the machine is too! It's a Singer crinkle-blackside centennial 128. I won it off eBay a couple months ago from a local seller.

Since it's such a small bit of damage i am wondering if i can glue a thin piece of something on the underside just to strengthen without having to tear apart the box. I'm not sure what exactly, but there is a thin amount of space there.
Attached Thumbnails singer-128-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM

it looks like it's just peeling off. you can just squeeze some wood glue (tilebond or elmer's will work) in between the veneer and clamp it. that's what i usually do when i am refinishing my cabinets. but make sure that you put glue on all the peeling veneer. your's most likely will go up to the left most end part.

Last edited by singerguy; 04-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Force some wood glue in the cracks then clamp it between a couples small boards lined with waxpaper so they don't stick to the case. You may have to touch up the stain a bit where i looks like a couple slivers are missing but other than that your repair will barely show.
Rodney
Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM

Thank you! I knew you would have some ideas!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM

or you can use plastic if wax paper is not available to put in between wood planks....
Old 04-30-2014, 05:06 PM

I used parchment paper but it isn't a veneer coming up after all. It is pushing in at the bottom like it was sat on something that pressed against it. Giving it some glue and clamping it helped it flatten a little.

I thought the inside looked pretty clean too. Someone actually painted it! They did a pretty good job of it too. If I can mix some paint well enough I should be able to match it in. Maybe I can put a little wood putty in the voids.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM

I used parchment paper but it isn't a veneer coming up after all. It is pushing in at the bottom like it was sat on something that pressed against it. Giving it some glue and clamping it helped it flatten a little.

I thought the inside looked pretty clean too. Someone actually painted it! They did a pretty good job of it too. If I can mix some paint well enough I should be able to match it in. Maybe I can put a little wood putty in the voids.
yes, putting wood putty is a good idea. on some of my battered cases, i just use minwax polyshades. i just sand them for a little bit, wipe with mineral spirit, let it dry then paint with polyshades.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
... then paint with polyshades.
Personal opinion only..... ewwwww.