Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina 640-2

Bernina 640-2

Here's the before photo of when I picked it up. I've cleaned it and have worked on it for hours but will have to take an after photo when I'm done. This machine is not common and was sold primarily for dressmakers and tailors, I'm told. It was completely locked up and took me days of work to get it moving. I had to completely disassemble the hook assembly and some of the stitch selector. I'm still having problems getting the right replacement belt and the stitch center knob is stuck in the center position. I was able to get everything unlocked except for this one part. So, I'll continue to work on that. I also took apart the motor and it looks almost brand new. I don't think this machine saw much use at all and the paint is in very nice condition.

This is my 3rd vintage Bernina and it can also be treadled. Cool:>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, it was made in 1954.

Blog Entries
    Very jealous. Would love one! Good for you - hard work pays off. Best,

Nice machine...love those Bernina's. It is so satisfying when a locked up piece suddenly is unfreed. Keep going.

I'm just waiting for a belt, but I'm sticking with it:> I've never worked on a machine with a bobbin assembly that faces the rear. It makes it more challenging for sure!

Blog Entries
    Cute machine Candace. You will get the needle position unstuck - I know you! Anyway, if the needle had to be stuck - center position is the best place to be. The person who had the machine before you probably never moved the needle position!

Nancy

Nancy, I agree and thought the same thing! I very rarely move the needle position on any of my machines.

I wonder if it could be treadled? I'd love to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I wonder if it could be treadled? I'd love to have one.
    Yes they can be treadled I would think as the cut outs are there for a belt and many have been modified to have an industrial motor attached underneath.

I've got one of these too! Mine has the original accessories box, instruction booklet and shop brochure, originally purchased from Regal Sewing Machines in Melbourne on 18 January 1963... The brochure says you can get the Favorit 640/2 (automatic zig-zag with automatic buttonhole), 642/1 (zig-zag) or Varia 644 (plain sewing) with a choice of Standard Cabinet (treadle or motor), Deluxe Cabinet (motor) or Swedish Table. Mine's in the Swedish Table, for an "Attractive contemporary design with electric motor". The Favorit 640/2 is the most expensive machine listed in the brochure... "starting at 130". I can't wait to get it back from the repairer and try it out!

I also have one from my grandmother which I finally tried today. Because it sits in a table it is at a better height than my other machines which sit on top of the table. Everything seems to be working but I can't seem to get a row of stitches. Can you confirm that bobbin thread is anti-clockwise? How can I get stitch regulator and stitch length right? I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent but I can't get this right. It has sat for 13 years without a service so perhaps it needs one. For Vanginney there is currently one on ebay (probably Australia).

Quote Originally Posted by jayjung View Post
    I also have one from my grandmother which I finally tried today. Because it sits in a table it is at a better height than my other machines which sit on top of the table. Everything seems to be working but I can't seem to get a row of stitches. Can you confirm that bobbin thread is anti-clockwise? How can I get stitch regulator and stitch length right? I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent but I can't get this right. It has sat for 13 years without a service so perhaps it needs one. For Vanginney there is currently one on ebay (probably Australia).
    Happy to compare notes/pics where helpful... Or would you like a copy of the manual?

Thanks for the offer but I have the manual. I also have paperwork from shop in Brisbane where my grandmother purchased it. All my other machines have bobbin thread clockwise but the manual looks like anticlockwise thread. My main problem is that I can't get the stitch regulator to say put. I will have another go today and I will make arrangements to get it serviced today.

I love it, I love it, I love it, I love Berninas.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjung View Post
    All my other machines have bobbin thread clockwise but the manual looks like anticlockwise thread.
    That's right, Bernina's are backwards (well the ones that I've used are, anyway).

It's well worth getting it serviced. Of all my machines so far, it sews the most beautifully. Such a pleasure to use

What a find! Enjoy.

Just thought that I would let you know that machine is in intensive care. It wasn't me - there is a part jammed. I'm looking forward to it being returned.

Cool machine!
    Mark

Oh my, I would love a copy of manual! I recently became the new owner of 2 Berninas. Bernina number 1 is a 530-1 record beige in color with serial number 5934318... Bernina number 2 is a 640-2 favorit avocado color with a serial number 54002003. i was only given the manual to the 530-1 record...I am unable to order a manual for this 640-2 due to the rarity.

Welcome aboard Lily, it's an older thread but I hope the right person sees it and can help you out.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Leticia View Post
    Oh my, I would love a copy of manual! I recently became the new owner of 2 Berninas. Bernina number 1 is a 530-1 record beige in color with serial number 5934318... Bernina number 2 is a 640-2 favorit avocado color with a serial number 54002003. i was only given the manual to the 530-1 record...I am unable to order a manual for this 640-2 due to the rarity.
    I got a 642-1 earlier in the year the lady took a week to find the manual. In the meantime I'd trawled the 'net for a free one to no avail. People wanted money to share a pdf.
    The manual is the one for the 540-1 and 542-1, which is identical to the 6 versions (I checked mine against the low res online sample for the 600 versions) and then got Bernina's permission to scan and share it. The lady from Bernina said to share with anyone who needs it.
    http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzYI...NSNm1KeWVZYjA/
    I've a few higher res versions but this one is only 4MB.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

What a great machine!

Unsticking the needle position knob is hard, but do-able. But you can't pry the knob out, because it can break. You have to loosen the insides, then push the post out from the inside. There's a hex-head screw on the right side of the assembly that needs to be loosened. Clean up the old gummy oil, then put it back together. Then you have to be careful with the tracer pin. If you push the tracer pin in, it doesn't like to come back out, so use heat to loosen the spring on the tracer, before you try to work with it. Then dissolve the gummy oil inside the pin.
    Annette in Utah

This thread is nearly two years old.

Wow! I'd better get my glasses out. LOL!
    Annette in Utah

Yes, very identical... Only my little side metal plate at right side is unused (no cut out holes) and my turning wheel at right of her is shiney and new yet very vintage. Hello Candace, and I'm sorry that I chose to keep these guys. So te machine is from 50s' or 60s'?