birdwatcher

Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Default birdwatcher

I just bought a vintage singer 500a rocketeer. I oiled and greased it and found the fly wheel to be a bit loose, not loose as in coming off the machine, but loose meaning it turns loosely then seems to catch the gear. Am I making myself clear? When I start to sew, I need to turn the wheel slightly to get the machine going. During this "loose turning," the needle doesn't have the strength to penetrate the fabric. Is there a way to tightening the flywheel, or is this inherent in this machine?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Hi & Welcome!

I don't know about your machine but hopefully someone will come along to help you. Did you check for other forums on your specific machine?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Welcome aboard,
If your machine was older I would say this is the problem This is the washer that allows the clutch to catch or release the center of the knob from the handwheel. I haven't had to take the outer knob off my Rockeeter yet, so I can't give you instructions.

And FYI the title of your thread should give us a hint about your topic, not who you are. we'll see that anyway.

someone will be along to help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584900[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails leonf-u169597-albums19738-576744.jpg  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Oh and yes, it is fixable and congrats on the Rocketeer.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Could the belt be stretched?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patricia M. View Post
Could the belt be stretched?
This machine doesn't have a belt. It has a geared direct drive.

Cari
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Welcome birdwatcher

Your machine is very similar to several other machines like many in the 400 series. A few links which might help are She's real fun, my 401...
Singer 500 Rocketeer Rescue
Singer 500 question

While the first link is not for your particular machine, it is quite similar. You might want to add some 30W oil as indicated behind the hand wheel with the green arrow like Cari suggests .

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM

Birdwatcher, You have received good info about lube, but I am not certain this is your issue.
Try this an report back please. Take a flat rubber jar opener and see if you can tighten the clutch wheel (silver and knurled in my pic) against the hand wheel. Then see if you can turn all the working bits just using the clutch knob.
Attached Thumbnails leonf-u169597-albums19738-576741.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM

The knob is the same as the previous pic, just the side you usually see. Your knob will be tapered and smooth and painted, but will still have one little set screw showing.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

I agree with you Leon, I don't think this is a lubrication issue but I think either there's some confusion as to what is really going on or she's got some play in the upper shaft or where the upper gear meshes behind the hand wheel.
To the OP - first, when you go to start sewing are you making sure the take up lever is at or just a hair over the top of its travel? On vintage machine this is the sweet spot for starting the machine as the previous stitch is finished but the new stitch hasn't quite started. You shouldn't have to help the machine get started if the take up lever is in this position.
My next suggestion would be to take out the motor and put it back in and see if the gears are meshing properly at the top.

Cari