Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine >

Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine

Bleepity Bleep Trouble with New Machine

Old 02-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
The arrow for the tension disc setting is on the left. I have it set at 4. When you turn it all the way down the 0 is on the left at the arrow so I think it's accurate. When I get home today I will try taking it apart and cleaning the discs.
If the tension indicator is on the left as you look at your pic, that puts it to the rear. I've got 8 clones and a couple of them were set that way. Makes no sense like that. You don't sit behind the machine, so with the tension indicator back there you can't see it. It should be in the front so you can see it. Or have I misunderstood what you said.

I'm like Miriam, I take each one apart, scrub it, de-oil it, then reassemble it with the indicator at the front where it should be and adjust accordingly.

Keep working with it, you'll get it.

Joe
Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Sarabela,

I have been studying your pic and my wife looked at it too. First the thread check spring should be horizontal when at rest. Yours is pointing down a bit. My wife said it looks like the tension might be 180° out. I agree with her.

Here is a pic of my Commodore's top tension with the then new check spring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508629[/ATTACH]
It It had a broken spring on it when I got so I completely redid it.

Here's my Morse 200, it's top tension is more like yours:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508631[/ATTACH]
When this pic was taken it hadn't been cleaned or adjusted and the indicator marks are just a bit higher than I set mine.

And here is a suggestion I'm surprised hasn't been given yet. Go to TFSR { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }, read it thoroughly.
R&R, clean and adjust that tension before you get to the point of pulling your hair out. The TFSR manual has very clear and detailed instructions on how to do this.

It took me a long time to hunt up these pics and post this, so if I've miss something or am mistaken about way your problem is, please forgive.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails new-thread-check-spring.jpg   morse-200-b-hedy.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

joe thanks for putting time into this. I think you just solved my problem on this Philippines made singer. It's half breed 15 / 66. It's apparent everyone having it has had problems with it's upper tensoiner

In looking over that site, I see now that it's a 15 / 201 not a 66 at the head ( take up and tension) with I luck I have enough parts to make up a tensioner
Old 02-03-2015, 02:31 PM

10X,

You mean one of these?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508655[/ATTACH]
I think they are more of a 15/66 than a 15/201. The stitch length regulator is like a 15, but the rest of the machine is like a 66.

~OR~ Do you have a different design?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails allcleanedandreadytogo.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
If the tension indicator is on the left as you look at your pic, that puts it to the rear. I've got 8 clones and a couple of them were set that way. Makes no sense like that. You don't sit behind the machine, so with the tension indicator back there you can't see it. It should be in the front so you can see it. Or have I misunderstood what you said.

I'm like Miriam, I take each one apart, scrub it, de-oil it, then reassemble it with the indicator at the front where it should be and adjust accordingly.

Keep working with it, you'll get it.

Joe
That is correct, the indicator is at the back. I thought that was pretty strange.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sarabela,

I have been studying your pic and my wife looked at it too. First the thread check spring should be horizontal when at rest. Yours is pointing down a bit. My wife said it looks like the tension might be 180° out. I agree with her.

Here is a pic of my Commodore's top tension with the then new check spring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508629[/ATTACH]
It It had a broken spring on it when I got so I completely redid it.

Here's my Morse 200, it's top tension is more like yours:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508631[/ATTACH]
When this pic was taken it hadn't been cleaned or adjusted and the indicator marks are just a bit higher than I set mine.

And here is a suggestion I'm surprised hasn't been given yet. Go to TFSR { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }, read it thoroughly.
R&R, clean and adjust that tension before you get to the point of pulling your hair out. The TFSR manual has very clear and detailed instructions on how to do this.

It took me a long time to hunt up these pics and post this, so if I've miss something or am mistaken about way your problem is, please forgive.

Joe
Joe, thank you so much! I have printed out the pages from the link you posted that pertain to the tension of the model 15. I am going to work on taking it apart and cleaning it up tonight and tomorrow. Your pictures helped a lot. It does look like the tension spring points down a lot more than yours do.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM

joe no. I did post a photo of it and will again once the cabinet is back together. on that one every thing is 15 except the take up lever system. and now the tension is the style used on a 201

so bobbin case ect = 15 take up lever maybe 201/66. and uses a different face plate.

sara the position of the spring is adjustable, you'll see how once you start working on it
Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
joe no. I did post a photo of it and will again once the cabinet is back together. on that one every thing is 15 except the take up lever system. and now the tension is the style used on a 201

so bobbin case ect = 15 take up lever maybe 201/66. and uses a different face plate.

sara the position of the spring is adjustable, you'll see how once you start working on it
10x,

I must have missed the pic, or just don't remember it. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Joe
Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 AM

How do I take this apart? I tried twisting the end and it doesn't seem to unscrew. The instructions posted above show a different mechanism.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Sarabela,

This style is a combination of the newer and older.

To remove the knob, push the numbered ring away from it, then turn it counter clock wise.
The TFSR manual unfortunately stops too soon for the tensions. I forgot about that.

Once you get the knob off you should be able to use the Class 15 instructions from there.
The center shaft is a split shaft as shown in the manual. When you reassemble it there are several adjustments you can use to make things (especially the +/- ring face correctly)

Joe