bobbin issue with FW

Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM

Default bobbin issue with FW

A friend's FW has an issue with the bobbin shuttle coming from between the throat plate guard which hold it vertical - then it spins making a horrible noise stitching fine for a while then ....
We have taken it apart and put it back together correctly according to the pictures in the manual but it keeps getting loose. Is something worn or are we missing something else?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 PM

The only things I can think to try would be to make sure the the little finger on the bobbin case is in between the notches. The other is maybe there is a thread caught in the bobbin case or behind it somewhere?
Sorry I'm not much help. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you some help. Good luck, Gina
Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
The only things I can think to try would be to make sure the the little finger on the bobbin case is in between the notches. The other is maybe there is a thread caught in the bobbin case or behind it somewhere?
Sorry I'm not much help. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you some help. Good luck, Gina
correct answer
Old 02-01-2015, 03:52 PM

We get he finger o the bobbin case between the notches but it keeps coming free while sewing.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM

I've found that I MUST hold onto the latch on the bobbin and keep it open until the finger clicks in. Otherwise it won't seat properly. Also had lots of trouble with a very short length of thread hidden way down behind the race (I think that's the right term? The piece that holds the bobbin case.) Since I fixed those things, my FW has worked like a champ.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
We get he finger o the bobbin case between the notches but it keeps coming free while sewing.
When you cleaned and checked everything, did you remove the throat plate to clean around the feed dogs, etc? It is when replacing the throat plate that you seat the position finger of the bobbin case in the notch. Once those two parts are in place, the piece with the finger does not come out or rotate, no way for it to fall out. Set the bobbin and case aside, remove the throat plate and replace it and the position finger at the same time, then thread and insert the bobbin and case as MFord has said.

I find this easier to work on if the machine is standing on it's end and bolstered by something to keep it from falling over.

Last edited by elnan; 02-01-2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add info to post.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
You might want to bookmark this site:
http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php