Boye Display Case

Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 PM

Needlebar book lists Boye 20 application as "White Vibrator to 581000" which was also in Ismacs needle list. Useful but not written in stone unless tested.

Jon
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM

if White serial numbers are indicative of age, my Peerless is the oldest at 979,XXX. The other I have is 1,750,XXX. But neither would be old enough to take the longer needle.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Boye 12 would be a good choice for most White VS machines. For some reason Peerless is different, though this is not to say that a later White Peerless used a 20x1. I honestly don't know. I'm trying to find a needle for a Muller 20 toy sewing machine and we are at needle option #5 and #6. Needless to say my friend is not very happy but it does happen.

Jon

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I checked the White Peerless I have, and it came with the shorter White needle (Boye 12). I don't know if it will sew with that needle though. Someone could have bought the machine years ago and bought a needle they though would fit - and never got it to sew.

And it's also possible that when it was reconditioned to electric, the shop that did that may have adjusted the needle bar to take the shorter needle. Though I've seen some that if you lower the needle bar, the needle clamp will contact the foot when the foot is raised.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Do you know if there were any display cases made with the "wrong" numbers? I've bought one assortment that had the "old" numbers - it's easy with the Singer/White to tell because they are so very different.
My understanding is those with the latter 1906-1907 dates and newer, are the NEW ones with the mistake. But... for clarity, collectors use these as the standard. So when we speak of them, those are the numbers we use. The old ones with older 1906/1907 are the original numbers. So the numbers you show above are actually what we believe to be the numbers as a result of that error years ago.

My cases are worn, so I use the Needlebar chart. I have both old and new.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM

I've gotten 2 Boye old system shuttle and bobbins. Both could have been avoided if I had verified needle dimension and shuttle appearance. I have also learned that inexpensive digital calipers are a must for anyone with an interest in sewing machine needles other than 15x1.

Jon
Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 PM

I stole my digital calipers from my hubby - gave him the excuse to get a nicer set for his reloading (where they can be even more valuable). He also benefited when I wanted the sonic washer for cleaning sewing machine parts - and just Monday he bought me a trigger pull measure for checking the thread tension for my longarm. Figure it will be fun to check thread tension for other machines too.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/n...ce-charts.html I trust what Kevin has done and find these tables very helpful.

You have a longarm in addition to that collection! And a sonic washer. Oh My!!! Best I could do is get a jewelry sonic cleaner and a vibrator ( vs a tumbler which is too hard on the parts) with the different media. Haven't used them yet.

Yep, we have digital calipers in the basement and in the workshop. Have you had experiences where the sellers are willing to check the dimensions?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 AM

I have found so may useful tools in my husbands gun repair equipment, the most useful being the screw drivers. They fit the screws in older machines (sewing).
Cathy thanks for the answer on shuttles. I will not buy a VS if it doesn't have a shuttle and bobbin in it. So far they have all been the correct ones too.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 AM

We don't have guns, but we purchased a chapman set from Ray White and it makes THE difference. Just make sure you do not think the ease with which the ratchet handle tightens means to tighten too much. Screws can easily break.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Wow! A lot of great information here. It's also always a pleasure to look at your machines Cathy.
Rodney