Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Broken Bakelite Housing repair? >

Broken Bakelite Housing repair?

Broken Bakelite Housing repair?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM

It would be OK but I'd still look for another cord end. Sew-Classic sells the entire cord set, but you might find one in better shape at your LSMG.

Joe
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM

I will be getting a complete cord the first week of January so this is temporary and only for right now.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Looks like your plug is toast and need a new one. Did you check the inside part and made sure that there is no frayed or exposed wires? If it's me I will just fill that gap with epoxy (making sure that inside wirings are ok) and should be good to go.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM

The plug has been rewired. That was when I found/caused the defect. The plug isn't screwed together for the picture.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 AM

I have occasion to glue plastics and other materials dated right around the WWII era. I have discovered that a conversation with the person who is the adhesives expert at Home Depot or a really good hardware store is very helpful.

The two most difficult things I have found to stick together and stay stuck are Bakelite and hard rubber. If I can, I usually inset a pin and glue like crazy. The pin adds stability.

Good luck, Bakelite is a beast.

Pat
Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Here are the pictures as promised. As you can see its just a small piece in a somewhat safe area. I won't be leaving it plugged in to the wall when not in use and will leave the machine connected to the cord.
if I were you I will just buy epoxy ( the one that has 2 tubes that you mix together) and glue them together by filling up the spaces and once they dry up you'll be good to go. It will be rock solid and no need for a new one. I have a replacement one on my FW and I didn't like it. It's so hard to put in and they are rubber. So this could be the same as your replacement one. They don't sell the Bakelite type anymore which I prefer better.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

I shop the local swapmeet/fleamarket for old appliances with reusable plugs for this kind of job.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM

Are there other appliances that take this plug? I thought it was sewing machine specific.