Brother's Project 651

Old 08-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Wink Brother's Project 651

Hello!
It's been a while since I've acquired a 'new' machine. lol This isn't super new to me, I actually bought it last week But I finally got to cleaning and getting the old gal working. It's pic time!

Weighing in at about 38 lbs. She's a well built gal. Her robin's egg blue paint has very little discoloration. Only in some of the corners. It appears that someone had replaced the original two prong power cord with a thick black grounded one. Having had an electrician (Dad) look at the wiring he said it was done properly. So Yay! Safety! After the basic clean and lube. I found her major problem was with the tension module. Someone had loosened the screw that held the entire thing to the machine. So that made the tension wobble a lot. I tightened the little screw and made sure the module was properly set in to the machine. Voila! it was fixed.

There is some paint wear on the reverse button and also the previous owner had the bobbin winder engaged when it was stored so there's a flattened part on the bobbin tire. I would have to look for a newer case, the one it came in is plastic and there are cracks. I suspect if I tried to carry her with the case it may just fall apart. There is significant paint wear on the hand wheel, luckily for me it is a metal wheel and could be repainted.

It can sew super tiny stitches and it's satin stitch is absolutely beautiful. It's a basic machine with only the straight stitch and zigzag stitches. She's pretty quiet too! Even with her plastic case. Her motor casing has a dent but that doesn't affect the machine. All in all for $10.00 she was a steal. lol

The only problem i really have is that my dining table that I sew on is of average height. The foot pedal barely lays on the ground flat so i had to find a lower table like a typewriting desk (yes i still own a typewriter and a desk for it.) to be able to be seated comfortable. It appears a bit of rewiring is in order.

As always the Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/6ctNK For the full sized and extra photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433241[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433242[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433243[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433244[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433245[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433246[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433247[/ATTACH]

A little extra, from the same shopping trip i saw this container of bobbins and I knew i had to buy it. Especially at the price it was listed at. $3.00 This was filled with the old kind of class 15 bobbins not the newer ones sold now. *wink*

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433248[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]433251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails lt9p4ulh.jpg   stwvzxzh.jpg   ttseqcch.jpg   vewmrlch.jpg   tcx1aaeh.jpg  

dvocdyvh.jpg   m2cqii4h.jpg   kg4xypbh.jpg   fipn4wyh.jpg   fipn4wyh.jpg  

Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Power Poster

nice cache of bobbins!
Those older Brother machines can be very nice.
Maybe you can put the foot pedal on a block of wood so it will reach.
I have some foot pedals that are very short wired - they go in a cabinet for a knee control.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Color me green over those 15 bobbins. I buy all the ones that I see and find at yard sales and thrift stores. Even my kids and hubby look for me at those sites.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
nice cache of bobbins!
Those older Brother machines can be very nice.
Maybe you can put the foot pedal on a block of wood so it will reach.
I have some foot pedals that are very short wired - they go in a cabinet for a knee control.
Oh! a block of wood. That's a good idea I have one of those step thingys used for exercise. maybe..hmmm.. Great idea! lol
Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Color me green over those 15 bobbins. I buy all the ones that I see and find at yard sales and thrift stores. Even my kids and hubby look for me at those sites.
I was way too happy when i saw the bobbins. I even broke out the happy dance!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
I was way too happy when i saw the bobbins. I even broke out the happy dance!
I totally understand that happy dance!! I've been seen doing the same thing.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM

I have the same machine that I just picked up at the thrift store but I have no idea how to turn it on... Please help!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM

foufymaus,

You can easily splice a length of cord into the foot controller wire. I've done it and works quite safely.
I did this on my Alden ZZ machine for the same reason. Although the wiring was in overall good condition, the controller cord was too short. I just split the old and new cord enough to solder splice it and used heat shrink on each wire then the entire cord at the splice. Put a couple new connectors on the end of the wire for the controller and all is well.

That's a nice machine. I have several of the Japanese machines and they are really quiet. I love the quiet.

Joe
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jsullivan07 View Post
I have the same machine that I just picked up at the thrift store but I have no idea how to turn it on... Please help!
There is no "on/ off" switch. The motor and light have separate cords that should plug into a cord block. One end of the block goes to the wall socket, the other end to the foot controller.
When plugged in it is on all the time. The light under the nose piece has an on / off switch, but that doesn't control the machine.

If your machine is plugged in and it does not run, then you have an electrical problem that should be diagnosed and fixed.

Joe