Buck Rodgers Rocketeer?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Buck Rodgers Rocketeer?

Hello all,

Spotted on local CL and checked it out. WOW, it's for real and the only thing between me and it was $70. It was at the local Fuller Foundation(non-profit) and was in immaculate condition and was in a plain cabinet. I have heard about the 500A, but haven't seen one in person. They are really unique in it's futuristic styling. Then all of a sudden it hit me, in my mind I heard, "What??, ANOTHER MACHINE, Really???, and after a few seconds, the sewing machine Genie appeared before me and told me to say these exact words-"Honey, I made a donation to Habitat(Fuller) today on our behalf and lookie what they gave me on the way out the door!" What a Genie!! Anyhow, moving right along, I hope you enjoy the pics. Chow for now.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Attached Thumbnails img_8110.jpg   img_8113.jpg   img_8114.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 AM

Very nice!! I LOVE these machines, just absolutely adore them. I saw one at a friend's house years before I got into old sewing machines and fell in love at first sight. I love that atomic-era styling; to me it's just fantastically funky and awesome. I've had one for a bit less than a year now and it's one of my most favorite machines to sew on. I just recently got a cabinet for it and I'm pleased as punch because now I can keep it set up and ready to go.

It's a magical machine - I put my quarter-inch foot on mine and it has a perfect scant quarter-inch seam without any adjustment at all. Only machine in my herd that I don't have to twiddle with to get the right allowance. Sews like a dream too. I love everything about it!

Yours looks great and I think you got a great deal on it. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM

I love the looks of the 500. I've had one for a while, and planned on getting the funky trapezoid cabinet to put her in. When I finally got the cabinet - I discovered the machine would not fit- the angled way it mounts into the cabinet caused the high nose end to hit the front of the drawer compartment mounted to the inside of the front door.

I tried with the 319, since it's also a neat looking machine and that one almost fit, but would have required some trimming to the drawer - so in the end a two tone 301 ended up in the cabinet and the 319 went into the more standard cabinet the 301 had come in. Older machines like a 201 or 15 would have fit, but funky cabinets should have funky machines inside!

BTW - I once saw a Japanese made zigzag machine on CD that had dual fins along the top - I'd have loved to get it, but it was too far away for a special trip, and no longer listed by the time we were heading that way.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Rodney,

I've got one 500a and had another. The second one was sold to another forum member.

I like the style, the mechanics, and the reliability. Both of mine were rescuees that needed TLC and refurbishing. Yours is beautiful. Hopefully is sews as nice as it looks.

Joe
Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 AM

*** Nice machine & nice it was discounted too.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:53 AM

Default 500A condition

Joe,

This machine is absolutely pristine inside & out . It was professionally maintained and well kept by the owner. If I did not know it was made in 1962, I would think it was new model.

Rodney
Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
When I finally got the cabinet - I discovered the machine would not fit- the angled way it mounts into the cabinet caused the high nose end to hit the front of the drawer compartment mounted to the inside of the front door.
Oh, that's REALLY good to know! I was wanting one of those trapezoid cabinets for this machine for the same reasons, glad I didn't hold out for one and now I can stop looking!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Congrats on your Rocketeer!
I've missed out on a few now. Always a little late getting to them.
I love the styling too.
Rodney
Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM

I guess that I’m the odd-man-out on Rocketeers. I’ve never been very fond of the design, even though I love the 300 and 400 series slant machines. Last January, I was gifted with a nice, clean 503A. I set it on a shelf in my work shop so that I could see it regularly to possibly bond with it a little. No such luck. Without ever so much as servicing it and test sewing with it, I moved it up into the attic by June....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Love these machines and this one looks so wonderful, congrats.