Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
cable for rewring Singer plugs and  pedals >

cable for rewring Singer plugs and pedals

cable for rewring Singer plugs and pedals

Old 12-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Question cable for rewring Singer plugs and pedals

My two Singers have black bakelite plugs, and I rather keep them. My 201K is belt driven and have a standard three prong plug in connection with motor and lights; in one end is the cable connecting to the wall socket, the other goes to the foot controller (the three prong plug is in the middle).

The problem is maybe slight, but I can't find two core electrical cable in the same size as the original. I can find white heavy duty (sort of) cable, but it's a bit stiff, I am looking at replacements. I have regular electrical wire easily available, it's flat and about 5 millimeters wide. The original has probably been round and about 6 millimeters wide, that's what I have there now, (white and not very flexible).

What I have to go by is an old power cable from a 1950s Singer. It's still in good condition, about 6 m.m. wide, much softer than the new white cable I easily can get here. It's not the same plug so I can't swap them (singe cable plug from a machine with knee lever control).

I have a light from an older model 15K, it has the cord still on it; it's flat 7 m.m. wide. Standar two core cable to day is 5 millimeter. That's why I think the standard used to be different from now, and it's not easy to find a good brand new replacement.

Where do you shop for replacement cables? My 99K originally had a woven cable, now it has one with vinyl insulation. Should I just use 5 millimeter cables and just add on tape and shrink tubing in the plug joints? They will at least be more flexible

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-06-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Go to Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } go to the cord section and order the 18-2 SPT-2 cord for your controller and power cord. For the light you can use the 18-2 SPT-1 cord.
This cord is not exactly like the OEM but it is the correct wire size and will work great. It's what I use.

That is the closest I've found to the original cord.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 12-06-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Sundialwire.com has cloth covered cord. You can also buy small lots from Ebay sellers.
Unfortunately you're probably not going to find an exact match for original wiring. Singer bought enough supplies that they could order whatever they wanted.
Rodney
Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Certainly not experienced or an expert by any stretch, but not sure why you could not use what we used to call 'zip cord' or commonly referrec to also as 'lamp cord'?????? I'm sure the experts here will advive appropriately as to any problems with that solution.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 AM

Lamp cord is what I have, and it's too narrow for the openings in the plug. I can always use them, but I have to add tape, shrink tubing or something like. I will try Sewclassic's wire, maybe even the woven type from Sundial.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 AM

The stuff I mentioned at Sew-Classic is basically what the hardware stores sell as lamp cord.
There is two thicknesses of insulation. SPT-1, the thin stuff, and SPT-2, the thicker stuff. If you get 18-2 wire it's the same in both cords, only the insulation is thicker.

18-2 SPT-2 is hard to find locally. I've yet to find it in Ft Wayne, IN. There is an electrical shop in Springfield, IL that stocks it, but so far not here. That's why I mentioned Sew-Classic.

Joe
Old 12-07-2015, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

We got 18 at Lowes, Menards or Home Depot but had to buy a spool.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 AM

Hmm, I have to take a new round and visit the speciality stores, there has to be something useful.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:24 PM

Be warned - re-wring one of those can be a bit character building. It's doable but the first one will take longer than you think it should and don't forget to slide the bake lite piece with the hole in it onto your wire BEFORE you wire... uh.. or so I've heard from others who've made that mistake.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM

LOL, there is a model 66 for sale here, $15, should I take it on as a test machine? It's nice though, just doesn't sell that easily.