Uses for a Dremel?

Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 AM

Default Uses for a Dremel?

Hi everyone,
I am about to acquire a really cruddy, rusty old Featherweight that I bought so that I can take the thing apart, learn how to remove rust and aluminum oxidation, how to install the motor and lamp, etc. I have been wanting a "junky" machine to experiment on, and eventually to strip down and repaint. This one is in truly horrible condition, and I'm looking forward to just tinkering with it. Maybe it'll never run, but I'll try my best!
Two friends of mine who know vintage machines (they're on this board, so, hi!) looked at the pictures and asked if I have a Dremel.
I don't, and never have, and don't know what they do. I looked one up on Amazon and they seem to be affordable. What do they do? And how would they help me repair and restore and old machine?
Ila
Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I have couple and use them on my dogs nails. You Tube has videos for Dremel.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 AM

They spin various tool bits really fast. They can be useful for cleaning small areas among other things. So far I haven't needed one on a sewing machine but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful.
Rodney
Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

Oh! Dremels are fun toys, er I mean tools. They can file, drill, saw, grind, polish, buff, with the right bits they can do just about anything needed for a small job. I have two. A really old single speed actual Dremel brand that's on it's last legs and a cheap but very good off brand I bought at Big Lots about 12 years ago that's a variable speed and has the hand held extension thingy, can't think of the proper name for it. This one has served me well and still works like it's new. Yes, get one, you'll love it.

Cari
Old 12-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

They really are multi take tool. My friend drill down a broken tooth of mine that really had a spike to it. Much cheaper than seeing a dentist!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 PM

I love my dremel when I'm in "clean the little stuff" mode. The wire brush works well on just about everything.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

If you have a block type plug from a sewing machine you can buy the cheap Dremmel and plug it in to the foot pedal to run your tool! Foot speed control. I have use one to clean up some really crappy parts. I use a cup type brush. I got some of the cheap ones on line and ended up with tiny wires all over my body. Buy good ones but don't expect them to hold up all that well either. It is better to buy a cheap Dremmel tool once than to buy the junk from China and then have to buy another one later.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
They really are multi take tool. My friend drill down a broken tooth of mine that really had a spike to it. Much cheaper than seeing a dentist!

Oh my word! You're a brave and trusting soul! I assume your friend didn't hit a nerve!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:06 AM

I used to use mine for making birdhouses & different things out of gourds. Used it for several other things over the years but it just depends on which attachments you buy for it. You can cut, sand & buff too. Also good for adjusting your dentures but you have to be very careful with that. lol We have done that several times
Old 12-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

The one with the sandpaper attachment is the one I use on the dogs.