Can anyone tell me...

Old 01-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Default Can anyone tell me...

I have been offered a chance to buy a treadle sewing machine. All I know for sure, is that the cabinet is a "little rough". Any ideas of what a reasonable price for it would be if it is working order? My friend told me he had it, and would bring it over when he had another day off. He wants to discuss price then. What would one in rough condition be worth? If the machine is whole and only the cabinet is rough, how much? I know you can not give me a true estimate, I just need a ballpark to pitch from.

BTW-what is the important things to look for on it. I have never even touched a treadle so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM

If money is involved I'd ask for some pics of the head and base so you can study up and know what your getting into. The way it is now this machine could be anything and you'd be looking at it blind. I'd also offer to look at it at your friends place so you don't feel obligated to purchase. If looks good then he can deliver. My 2 cents.

Jon
Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM

A little rough. a term used by someone that doesn't refinish treadles. aka to the untrained eye. a little veneer peeling off. Now remove the machine head, and look at the edges inside the cabinet, see those slight dark gaps, the wiggly edges of the wood. The hinges are a little loose and have dark wood around the screws ..

ok teh gaps and wigglies, means the entire top is delaminating ( falling apart) has to be stripped down , reglued. dark wood at the screws = rotten wood

These's are just the things you would see, untill you get inside and look, you will see the veneer, to replace all of it will cost right at $100 for only the replacment veneer. The rest is untold with out seeing the cabinet.

I base price at $20 on the low $50 at the top end. which kinda sucks, I'll also give 20 to 30 for a bare stand.

Your right here . close to me, I feel you do look at C/L maybe you saw that Jones for $25 or many of the other complete treadles for under 50. Right now I could go get a working mid 20's singer for $40, never seen it but have talked on the phone with them. it's a private deal. I know of a new home needs work same price.

flip side it could turn to be a 1847 Howe
Old 01-09-2015, 02:08 PM

we have no idea where in the valley you live, Portland, Salem Corvallis. over the last two weeks there has been many usable machines, by that I'm saying take in the house and use right now. all these are 100 $ or less.

refinishing alone, if you have zero materials on hand, so stain , sand paper ect, will use up $75 in a heart beat.

These two machines just listed, in just looking, I'd say there well worth the price and could be taken in the house as soon as you get home. I won't take a dirty old machine inside LOLOL. anyway these are good examples of pricing
in portland go down the list you'll see many other at the $100 range
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/4839789734.html
Old 01-10-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
we have no idea where in the valley you live, Portland, Salem Corvallis. over the last two weeks there has been many usable machines, by that I'm saying take in the house and use right now. all these are 100 $ or less.

refinishing alone, if you have zero materials on hand, so stain , sand paper ect, will use up $75 in a heart beat.

These two machines just listed, in just looking, I'd say there well worth the price and could be taken in the house as soon as you get home. I won't take a dirty old machine inside LOLOL. anyway these are good examples of pricing
in portland go down the list you'll see many other at the $100 range
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/4839789734.html
I am in Lebanon, OR. Thank you so much for your input.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM

some one in Lebanon list quite a few for sale, mostly portables, There always a bit to hi
Old 01-10-2015, 08:38 AM

ask him what his prices expectations are before he hauls it over. Can save a lot of hurt feelings
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 AM

also think about this, living where you do, I sure your like me, If I go to the big city. right off the top my cost will be an other 20 to 30 in gas. You said he's bringing it to you.

I've done this very same with people. If I'm taking it to them, it's a give away deal, all i ask for is a smile and to know it's being used.