Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this machine be rescued?

That is an incredible transformation! It looks beautiful.
    I'm currently working on a 27 myself. Mine has the pheasant decals and is starting out much cleaner though.
    Most of the work is actually in the woodwork on the treadle base. Time has taken it's toll there.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I was gifted this machine from a friend. It was locked up solid, rusted and missing pieces. I am going to have to make some of the parts for it, but I like a challenge. From the handwheel to the needlebar it is only about 9". It is surprisingly small.
    ~G~

Name:  front before and during.2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  back before and during.2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  1.02 MB

Superb job. Inspiring!

Great job cleaning that one up! Neat little machine too.
    Rodney

Thank you Steve and Rodney. It is much easier when you have one that has good paint and plated parts to start with and has all of the pieces and parts to it too. The Singer did and the Feldman did not. But both were worth rescuing, IMHO.
    ~G~

Is the table missing on the Feldman or is it a special purpose machine?
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Is the table missing on the Feldman or is it a special purpose machine?
    Rodney
    It is a special purpose machine (I believe for sewing hats) that is missing the bed/table. Skip is helping me with what is missing, but the bed on mine is different than his machine and others I have seen. The feed mechanism on the back of the machine is closer to the needle area on mine. That changes the overall shape and dimensions of it. If anyone has a Feldman I would love to see pictures of their machine too.
    ~G~

New Home

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    This thread is going on the general assumption that none of us is going to get rich because of the intrinsic values of these machines. It is more about showing that if the machine is one YOU think is worth having, then YOU can restore most anything.

Time + Money + Effort = Success.

Adjust the first three of the formula above as you have resources.

90% Money + 5%Time + 5%Effort (someone else doing the work)
    10% Money + 30%Time + 60%Effort (doing it yourself with Skills)
    10% Money + 60%Time + 30%Effort (doing it yourself for the first time)
    Hi Steve, this is the first time I'm posting here so I'm a novice about all this machine talk so bear with me. I was at a Habitat for Homeless resale store and found a New Home treadle machine in a cabinet which looks like it can be restored, needle does go up and down when treadled, for $150. I would love to post pictures of it but in the past on QB I've been unable to. If someone would talk me through posting pictures saved on my computer (I've read the instructions on how to but don't understand, too old or whatever, probably the whatever in my case. : ) ) I'd love to post them. I know the money will go to a great cause but would it be worth my while to purchase, like I said, I'm a novice and would be in the category of your 10% Money + 60% Time + 30% Effort. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you or any on this thread can give me. Marie

OMG! I posted a question from page 3 of this thread and then continued on to read the rest. It's a miracle what has been done with these vintage machines, great work you guys! Too many names for me to remember right now but hope to very soon. I was born in the late 30's and it does my heart good to witness the resurrection of these beloved machines to working order, keep up the good work! I hope you welcome me into your fold and help me to restore a few of them that I own and the one I mentioned in my other post, if I acquire it. Thank you, Marie

Steve isd no longer a member. We'll try to help you out as much as we can.

Posting pictures: It's easy if you have them in your computer. There are some icons above where you write. In the box on the right hand side you'll see a square icon that is third from the left. Click that and follow the directions it gives you.

Appraisals are hard without being directly in front of the machine. The best advice I can give you is look it over thoroughly. Make sure it has it's shuttle and at least one bobbin and the machine is complete. Shuttles can cost as much as an entire machine. Parts get expensive quickly. It sounds like the treadle itself works. Are all the parts present? I don't know about New Home treadles, but Singer treadles often have missing guards on the wheel.

Is there any missing wood on the cabinet? Are the drawers all there? If they have glued on decorations are they complete? How are the top surfaces? Is the veneer glued down nice and flat or is it missing and lifting off?
    Be thorough in your assessment and be honest with yourself. If there's a lot of work to be done are you willing to do it? It gets expensive very quickly if you need to pay someone else to restore the woodwork.

In general, for myself in my market, for $150 I would expect a complete working treadle and machine and the woodwork to be in good condition with maybe a few blemishes but no major repairs needed.
    I hope this helps,
    Rodney
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-31-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Steve is no longer a member. We'll try to help you out as much as we can.

Posting pictures: It's easy if you have them in your computer. There are some icons above where you write. In the box on the right hand side you'll see a square icon that is third from the left. Click that and follow the directions it gives you.

Appraisals are hard without being directly in front of the machine. The best advice I can give you is look it over thoroughly. Make sure it has it's shuttle and at least one bobbin and the machine is complete. Shuttles can cost as much as an entire machine. Parts get expensive quickly. It sounds like the treadle itself works. Are all the parts present? I don't know about New Home treadles, but Singer treadles often have missing guards on the wheel.

Is there any missing wood on the cabinet? Are the drawers all there? If they have glued on decorations are they complete? How are the top surfaces? Is the veneer glued down nice and flat or is it missing and lifting off?
    Be thorough in your assessment and be honest with yourself. If there's a lot of work to be done are you willing to do it? It gets expensive very quickly if you need to pay someone else to restore the woodwork.

In general, for myself in my market, for $150 I would expect a complete working treadle and machine and the woodwork to be in good condition with maybe a few blemishes but no major repairs needed.
    I hope this helps,
    Rodney
    Thanks for answering Rodney, I hope y'all get Steve back. Your info on my assessment of the machine will be helpful to me when I go back to have a second look, thank you. Now I'm going to try adding a picture or 2, sorry if it doesn't work out. It failed to upload but I copied and pasted and this is what I got below.

file://localhost/Users/mariegengarelli/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2014/08/30/20140830-171424/photo%205.jpg
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-31-2014 at 06:37 PM.

I highlighted and selected "go to address" and it did come up, hope it will for y'all. BTW the belt is off but when put back where it belongs the machine does work. I'm going to post another file. This is a back view.

file://localhost/Users/mariegengarelli/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2014/08/30/20140830-171424/photo%201.JPG

Here's the cabinet view. BTW, the machine comes up on it's own when you open the top.

file://localhost/Users/mariegengarelli/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2014/08/30/20140830-171424/photo%203.JPG

That link is to where it is on your computer, we don't have access to that.

to upload a picture, click in the advanced reply button, scroll down to where you see manage attachments, at the top of the box that comes up you see browse, click that and find the picture you want to upload. Click upload. If the picture is of the correct size you can close the box and you'll see it where you saw the manage attachments before. IF the picture is too big it will have to be resized. If you have PAINT on your computer, open the picture in it and click resize. The box that comes up gives 2 choices, one of which is pixels. Check pixels and change the numbers below it to 600x400, 600 being in the top box and 400 being in the bottom. Save the picture but add a extra letter or number to it so the original will be preserved. Go back to the post reply and use the manage attachments to upload the resized picture. If you need more help please let me know and I'll make up some pictures to show you.

Welcome to the board. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to upload a picture: http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...s-t168819.html

I posted an alternate way to upload because I can never get the icon thingy to work. I've tried and tried to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by crocee View Post
    I posted an alternate way to upload because I can never get the icon thingy to work. I've tried and tried to no avail.
    Me too crocee! Unfortunately, I need more help, crocee.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxmag View Post
    Me too crocee! Unfortunately, I need more help, crocee.
    Send me a PM and I'll help you or if needed I can help here but it will be a major thread drift.

Crocee sent me more instructions to make my photos smaller, I tried it and now to see if it worked, here goes...........

Name:  vintage sewing machine 5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  vintage SM 2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  193.0 KB

It worked but the images are too small. When I tried to put the 600 in the top box and the 400 in the bottom box it didn't work so I did the reverse and this is what happened. At least there's pictures, now to get the size right! Thanks Crocee I learned something today thanks to you.

OMG! They're not too small, I'm so excited, I can't breath! Thank you, thank you, thank you crocee for sticking with me!

Now to explain the pics....The first pic has the belt of it's wheel but when I fixed that the machine worked. The second pic is of the back of the machine, my son took the pics. I think I explained a few pages back that when the cover is opened the machine appears and vice/verse. Now what do y'all think, worth $150?

That New Home is a beauty. Appraisals are hard to do. Price depends on your market in your area on any given day. I've seen some apparently good deals sit for months just because no one was interested enough to buy them, me included.
    Rodney

Rodney, thanks for responding. I think what I'll do is wait a week and if it's still there make a decision weather to buy or not. Looking at the belt in my picture, it looks a bit eaten up towards the bottom, would that be expensive to replace? Which parts would be the most expensive to replace? I hope this is not too general a question to ask, I know nothing about these machines but I get all excited when I see one, guess that means I might become a collector. Any good web sites on collecting these babies? Marie

The area where it "looks" chewed up appears to be where the belt is clamped together. It uses a small metal thingy to hold the 2 ends together. In my opinion the machine is very nice but maybe a little pricy. I might see if they would come down a little. The cabinet looks complete but I can't see the whole thing. Its got a lot of wear spots where the finish is missing so you may be able to use that as a bargaining chip depending on your location.

Belts can be had for less than $10, bought mine locally for $6. As far as attachments and what not, Macybaby would be the one to chime in on that question.

The TreadleOn website can tell/show you what to look for when researching the vintage/antique machines. Once you have one machine others will be popping up at an alarming rate. The things are worse than potato chips.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful machine. I agree with Rodney & Crocee in their assessments. They will keep popping up if you decide you must have one or two then it becomers ten and then an obsession for some like me. I will admit I've slowed down as I've no room left and hubby's patience also completely gone. But I do have a Pfaff finally.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast