Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this machine be rescued?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Very nice Steve! Thanks for showing us. I see an A&W rootbeer mug in the background. I used to collect them. They work well with regular beer too. I used to keep a few in the freezer for when I got home from work.
    Rodney
    My first real job was at an A&W drive in back in '78 and my mom worked for a little while at the A&W in Capital Mall here in Oly in '97 I think. Everyone in the family had those mugs, lol.

Cari

I picked up a White, stored in a barn. If it were a Singer, I think it would be restorable. But it's a White and there are too many pieces rusted through. I was given a newer White to use for parts, but discovered that the thread take up bar is shorter on this than the newer ones. So I am going to try and use the newer head in the treadle base. The sad thing is that it does move, so not frozen up. But all the tensioners need replacing, from the thread take up bar to the front plate.

Name:  2015-04-30 21.18.39.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1.57 MBName:  2015-04-29 21.23.52.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  1.75 MBName:  2015-04-29 21.24.00.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1.42 MBName:  2015-04-30 07.21.10.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  909.6 KBName:  2015-04-30 07.21.23.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.72 MB

Totally recoverable condition. I'd go for it!

I'd have to replace the front tension, which most experienced folks say is tricky. It has to go back into the front plate in a particular order. And there is a rusted tension spring on the thread take up bar. And, for some reason, while looking at it today, the bobbin race broke.

I find it odd that I can't swap parts on the two heads. The bobbin and bobbin holder fit in the newer head, but it's not picking up the thread. I should post a picture of the newer head too:

Name:  2015-05-13 18.06.20.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.78 MBName:  2015-05-13 18.05.54a.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  286.5 KBName:  2015-05-13 18.06.28b.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  276.0 KB

Can you read the serial number? of the rusty one, that is. I beleive your second one is much newer.

I've got at least three older White rotary machines that are suitable for parts. I got them unintentionally. I thought I was buying a load of cabinet parts - and ended up with about 10 machines as part of the deal.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 05-13-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Newer one is from 1929. Older one is just odd. serial number is 7599. It doesn't have the large bobbin plate, even though the treadle base is cut for that. It has a smaller slider plate. The thread take bar looks the same, but is shorter on the older one. They have different top tension wheels. Faceplates interchange but that short tension takeup bar bangs against it on the bottom stroke. And I am totally unfamiliar with Whites, so I can't decide if there's a part mismatch or if I just don't have it set up right. I was going to try and buy a bobbin and case for the newer head, but now I'm concerned that I'll wind up with a part that won't fit.

What do you have to lose? At worst, it doesn't get fixed, but you will learn a lot anyway. And wouldn't you rather make a mistake on this machine than one in really good condition?
    ~G~

She looks like she was in good shape when put away. Tricky parts are fun to learn on. great point Grant.

Are you turning the handwheel away from you when you try to pick up the bobbin thread?

Quote Originally Posted by 19cats View Post
    Are you turning the handwheel away from you when you try to pick up the bobbin thread?
    Yes, I did learn that about Whites. Should I see any movement of the bobbin case or bobbin? I can see movement behind the case, but I don't see anything pick up the thread from the bobbin. I'm confident I've got the bobbin threaded correctly in the case. I'm using a 15 needle and read the manual on how to install the needle correctly. I should try that bobbin in the old machine and see if it picks up there.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a working White, so I'm not really sure how it should all go together. And I haven't found anything that talks about how to replace just that tensioner on the face plate. There's a tutorial at Treadle On about replacing the faceplate and he talks about how difficult it is to take that faceplate apart. But mostly, I'd have to figure out how to pick up parts that are compatible with the older head. I'm not sure that it's a good first project.

I do have an alternate project, and I might be better off to tackle that first. I'm more familiar with vibrating shuttle machines and this head does not need as much work.

Name:  dendanske.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  286.9 KB

the bobbin has little to do with thread pick up.... even if it was way to skinny, you would think the bobbin case would hold the thread in the correct position and then the Hook would grab the thread on its way around.... take the bobbin and the case out and make sure the actual hook is coming around ...and that it looks to be " in time" with the needle position and the scarf on the needle is in the correct place...and that your needle thread is coming from the correct side of the needle ...
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

What type of oil is it soaking in ????
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Here is a machine that I just picked up yesterday. It is locked up solid and is soaking in oil currently. It may have been in a flood or three. The motor is locked up too. This normally wouldn't be as big of a problem but the motor is built in, similar to a potted machine, so I can't just do a motorectemy. If there is rust in there, it may be terminal.
    ~G~

Attachment 403213
    Attachment 403214

Wow... a lot of you folks are far more ambitious than I. I only work on machines that have a prayer of achieving their former glory. More power to you for your efforts though. Some machines that look pretty bad can end up looking very good. I am getting better at seeing potential through the crud and gunk.

Great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by tjbosley View Post
    What type of oil is it soaking in ????
    I use Tri Flow oil. It is the best that I have found to get a frozen machine back moving again, and moving machines to maintain them. And to clarify, I oiled the machine and let it sit (soak). I didn't get a vat of oil and drop it in.
    ~Grant~

How about "thinga-majig"?

Jeanette

Here is what I am up against (and why it's not picking up the bobbin thread). Now, I know my two Whites different. One is much newer. But the problem is that parts that seem to be similar really are not. That happened to me when I tried to put the new faceplate on the old machine. The thread take up arm is shorter and bangs against the faceplace. I might be able to swap those arms.

Here's the two bobbin races:
    Name:  white_bobbin1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  322.5 KB

The top one is from the old machine. The bottom is from the newer. The bobbin holder and bobbin are from the old machine.

Here's the bobbin and holder in the old race:
    Name:  white_bobbin_old.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  262.0 KB

And here's the bobbin and holder in the newer race:
    Name:  white_bobbin_new.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  302.1 KB

See how it sticks up? That's why it's not picking up the bobbin thread. It won't seat right. Now the newer head is a Family Rotary from the 20s. I think I'd have better luck getting a new bobbin and holder that would fit that. The old machine does not seem to be a Family Rotary and I'm concerned that parts I buy for it may not fit. I might have to give up on it, save the base and use the newer head to get it working.

I got this poor machine that was in at least one flood. It was seized up and the hook area was an absolute mess. It had stickers all over it and it was starting to get Aluminum Rot (rust for aluminum). The stickers were instructions on how to wind a bobbin, turn the machine on and off, and the big sticker says "Sewing Machine" in Hebrew. I thought it was neat, but they had to go. I did save them however, except for the big one. It fell apart.
    It is running and sewing great again now after a lot of work, but another Vintage machine was saved. This was going to be scrapped if I didn't get it and that would have been a shame. Even what seems like a lost cause, can often be fixed and be useful again.
    I do have the full restoration on my page, but I know not everyone sees it there, so I wanted to share some of the highlights of my latest victory with you all here.
    ~Grant~

The front as I got it.
    Attachment 538994

Front after cleaning.
    Name:  2015-12-23 15.26.54.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.72 MB

Back before.
    Name:  2015-12-15 11.10.34.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.79 MB

Back after cleaning.
    Name:  2015-12-23 15.29.49.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.44 MB

Hook area was rusted solid and it was full of rust everywhere. It was all disassembled, cleaned and polished.
    Name:  hook area before and after.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  675.5 KB

Inside of the free arm was full of rust too. You can see that water was sitting in there for some time. A lot of it too.
    Name:  free arm before and after.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  480.2 KB

Inside of the head was not as bad, but it still needed a bit of work. The presserfoot bar was rusted into the foot pressure adjuster. Rusted solid right to the presserfoot bar.
    Name:  head before and after.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  1.63 MB

The bottom of the machine had some very serious rust on parts. You can also see the internal water line where water sat for some time.
    Name:  bottom before and after.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  711.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Thank you Steve, you know I respect your opinion. All elbow grease my friend. I thought I had gotten all of the "Mouse Presents" out of sight before I took these pix but if you look close,.... But no Mice, Petrified, Electrified, Mummified, or even deep fried were found in there. Thank God. LOL.
    Miriam, If all else fails, I know a place to get Nickel or even Chrome plating done. And they do good work. It takes about 2-3 weeks but is not super cheap. PM me and i can pass along that info for you if necessary.
    ~G~
    That plate cleaned up nice as did the rest of the machine. It is black chrome so I don't want to rechrome that one. I also have a 201 with much nicer black chrome. Black chrome does not do well in photos for me.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

super job!!! one to be proud of for sure!!! How well does it sew?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    Miriam??? Were you able to revive the 15? or is she RIP?
    Yes it was revived

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That plate cleaned up nice as did the rest of the machine. It is black chrome so I don't want to rechrome that one. I also have a 201 with much nicer black chrome. Black chrome does not do well in photos for me.
    I have been wanting to use gun bluing on them. Has anyone tried that? I think it is what it is, and it would make sense to me that they would use it instead of plating it, Nickel, Chrome, and Copper were scarce when these machines were made.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
    Here is what I am up against (and why it's not picking up the bobbin thread). Now, I know my two Whites different. One is much newer. But the problem is that parts that seem to be similar really are not. That happened to me when I tried to put the new faceplate on the old machine. The thread take up arm is shorter and bangs against the faceplace. I might be able to swap those arms.

Here's the two bobbin races:
    Name:  white_bobbin1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  322.5 KB

The top one is from the old machine. The bottom is from the newer. The bobbin holder and bobbin are from the old machine.

Here's the bobbin and holder in the old race:
    Name:  white_bobbin_old.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  262.0 KB

And here's the bobbin and holder in the newer race:
    Name:  white_bobbin_new.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  302.1 KB

See how it sticks up? That's why it's not picking up the bobbin thread. It won't seat right. Now the newer head is a Family Rotary from the 20s. I think I'd have better luck getting a new bobbin and holder that would fit that. The old machine does not seem to be a Family Rotary and I'm concerned that parts I buy for it may not fit. I might have to give up on it, save the base and use the newer head to get it working.
    I hope you never gave up on that machine. The hand wheel turns away from you. See if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    super job!!! one to be proud of for sure!!! How well does it sew?
    Steve, It sews pretty well. Like an Elna Grasshopper. They are kind of like a "Clone" for them, from what I understand. I did shoot a shaky video of it sewing. I should post that on my page anyway too I suppose. I don't think I can post it here.
    Here is the first sample on a single layer of denim. I still needed to fine tune the tension, but you can see that it did a nice job. It was well mannered on slower speeds but it was pretty fast and shook a little at higher speeds. But that is nothing new.
    ~G~

Name:  2015-12-28 14.18.49.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.46 MB

very nice!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast