Cast Iron

Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM
KLO

Today I was near a Bed, Bath, and Beyond (not my favorite store since everything they seem to carry comes from China .... but I digress) so I stopped in to see what they had. As others have said, the cast iron I saw all seemed to be very, ummm, prickly as in not smooth inside or out. I was not impressed. We probably could have made off with a dutch oven that was mismarked (should have been $49.99 but had a $19.99 sticker on it) but then I would have had to remove all the mirrors in our house. Anyway, didn't buy anything. Think I'll just continue to keep a lookout for older ones that are smoooooth. Thanks again to all who have offered advice.

And Noiseynana, I too am sorry that I did not post this before you got rid of your iron stash as I would have loved to have bought a few of your pieces. I would have loved them and told them all about their former owner everytime I used them. hehehe Ah well, life goes on!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Yes, cast iron pans do break. I had my grandmother's 15" cast iron skillet for years that I used constantly, then one day as I picked it up to pour spaghetti sauce over the pasta, the handle came off in my hand! What a mess! No burns thankfully, but it does happen.
Older sister says to tell you "No surprise, grandma used it for years, as a hammer!" Mwhahahahaha!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 PM

CAST IRON AND SMOOTH TOP RANGES
I had to buy a new stove (my old one was 41 years old and the wiring was cracking). I got a smooth top range, and so gave away all my cast iron frying pans. I thought I couldn't use them on a smooth top.
Then my tenant upstairs need a new stove too, so I bought another smooth top range for her. When I found out she was using her cast iron on it, I bought myself two new frying pans. They are Lodge frying pans, and I love them. I use them every day. They work great, and have never seen soap. Just don't drop them on the stove. ! ! ! ! ! I haven't, yet.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 PM

My mother had 3 or 4 cast iron skillets, of varying sizes. She always used the same two skillets to fry chicken and she made the best chicken ever. One of the other girls got those skillets when Mom and Dad passed away, but they're still in the family. One of the skillets was purchased by my grandfather for my mother -- the skillet survived a house fire that totally destroyed the house, but my grandfather dug the skillet out of the ashes. I daresay that was one of the best-seasoned iron skillets I've ever seen!

Jeanette
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
i have corn muffin pans, waffle irons (several), skillets from huge to few inches, dutch ovens. all antique from original brands made in aystralia, bought out by other companies like griswald down thru time. i cook everything in iron pans. i have washed w soap & water for all the decades i've used & acquired these treasures. i just don't let anybody know. i get a little tired of the "don't wash" litany. i read in one of my caste iron cooking cook books years ago that the jury is out on the question. one noted chef shared that one major southern fried chicken celebrity cook always washed the pans, said that w every fresh batch of hot oil for frying, the pan would reseal --season. i use warm not hot. i don't fry much anymore, but lotsa tomatoe dishes, chili whatever. and i don't care how heavy they are becoming as they get older ...i've always enjoyed a good workout )
My wife washes ours with soaps and water. I don't have the heart to tell her not to. I'm a don't-stifle-the-initiative ex-employer. So, ever so often I reseason them. After I use them, I paper towel them really well and put them back in the cabinet. Don't tell my wife.

Another quick story. While fishing in Canada after a fish fry, our guide would light lard on fire in the monstrous cast iron fish frying skillet. Just as the flames were at their highest, he would tip and swinging the skillet skim the lake water with it putting out the fire. Quite a sight. It was absolutely spotless from this "washing." Beats soap and water.

Last edited by Vridar; 03-17-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
One of the skillets was purchased by my grandfather for my mother -- the skillet survived a house fire that totally destroyed the house, but my grandfather dug the skillet out of the ashes. I daresay that was one of the best-seasoned iron skillets I've ever seen!

Jeanette
When my mothers house burned down in 1986, the only things to survive from the kitchen were the cast iron pans and the Correlle Visions cookware. She still has them.

Cari
Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Hello KLO, My DH And I Just Love To Cook With Cast Iron We Buy Lodge Its The Best You Buy Lodge At Walmart We Go To The Sporting Goods Dept. And Also At Any Farm Related Stores Or At Hunting And Fishing Stores
Thank You Joanna Quilts
Old 03-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
That was exactly what my DH said when I showed him that photo. But "knowing" SteveH from all he has posted on the QB,I am betting that he knows how to put something like that rack and pans up so they won't come down.

Lots of good discussion on this subject. Of course, I still am not sure what I want but I am going to check out the flea markets, yard sales, etc. for older cast iron. My dh really thinks that the newer stuff might have some impurities in it from being manufactured overseas and therefore not as good as the old stuff. So, the hunt is on.
Lodge cast iron is manufactured in the US, but I think there enameled stuff is made overseas.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM

We always had Griswold at home when I was growing up. That's still my favorite, I have one on my stove top all the time, I have many pans. I do have a dutch oven, but can't tell you what brand.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:35 PM

My mother had cast iron skillets that she had gotten (my grandpa made that a gift to her) and she had had them for many years. Our house burned down and of course the dast iron skillets were in the fire. However, there was no breakage, and when the ashes cooled, my grandfather (who lived a few doors down the street) dug through the ashes to get the skillets. That was back in the '50's. Those skillets were given to various family members, so it remains in the family. My mother always used those skillets to fry chicken in. She said they were the best for frying chicken.''

Jeanette