chain stitcher

Old 07-18-2015, 11:17 AM

Default chain stitcher

Before I hurt myself buying something that won't work...
Many, in fact almost all the chain stitchers I'm seeing on ebay are designed for treadle work.
If not hooked up to treadle, will any of them work as a hand stitcher?

I saw the post and photo here where the whizkids modified a Willcox? to take a Singer crank, which is what got me wondering about the treadle models.

I can see they don't have a handle, so wondering if they can be run with a finger inside the right side, or on the wheel itself?

I'm looking for one to take with me when Rob goes fishing, I wouldn't need a table, just a lap tray. Have found the Singer 127 hand crank just too heavy to carry around, although it is wonderful to use on the covered deck.

Thanks for letting me pick your minds.
Sharyn
Old 07-18-2015, 12:00 PM

There were some cranks made for FWs on Ebay for about $35. They were simple and that would allow you to convert the FW for electric-free sewing. In order to hand crank, other machines, the hand cranks need to bolt to the motor bosses. In the case of the FW, the crank fastens on the clutch release part of the wheel. Has to be seen to be appreciated. This would be ideal for multiple FW owners.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 PM

I'm not multiple anything, heaven forbid! But I do have a good featherweight I don't like sewing on...but would certainly try it as a hand crank... I'll have to go get it and set it on my lap for an hour See how heavy 13 pounds can get.

The gearing might be a problem?
A little research shows this would be 1 stitch per turn rather than the 3 stitches per turn on a chain stitcher? It's all about speed And weight! The chain stitchers are quite light and of course use spooled thread.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:40 PM

Hi,

Here's a W&G hand crank modification from Treadle On:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...ibbscrank.html

I was pretty impressed with the Singer 40K, a high quality toy. At 4lbs it's a bit light and certainly no W&G:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...m-t266870.html

Jon
Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 AM

Good morning Jon,
the W&G adaptation probably wouldn't work for lap sewing and if I have to bring a table setup I might as well bring the 127 thank you for showing that

I have been looking at toys also and wondering if they are junk or perfectly good chain stitchers.
My Singer 404 is that color... lovely, is there a crank handle or do you just spin the wheel?

I'll go look at toys again and see what is available.
I'm thinking whatever I get I'll attach to a tray of some kind, both for stability and workspace to lay out pieces.

The needle thing (plus price) is why I probably wouldn't get a willcox and gibbs. On the other hand a needle might last a year or two at hand crank speed. Not very likely to break one.
But then the toys I looked at the other day didn't even mention needles, I think most sellers are thinking most buyers are collectors rather than users?

Do you think the SewHandy which seems common enough would be a working machine?

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 07-19-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:25 AM

I took a photo of this SewHandy the other day, they all seem to be this way to my untrained eye
Where/what is the spool holder?
Attached Thumbnails sewhandy.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Oh my gosh...toy sewing machines are a whole 'nother world to study...and it seems they all make a chain stitch!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Oh my gosh...toy sewing machines are a whole 'nother world to study...and it seems they all make a chain stitch!
Very true. Toy sewing machines are like a whole new world.

The 40K is the only toy machine I own. It works very well and I really don't want a herd of toy sewing machines though I find the toys extremely interesting.

I don't hear much about the Singer 20 toy machines sewing wise but with as many as Singer made and sold you'd think they work (?)

Jon
Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 AM

My original research was on the singers 20 and 24 models (lots of variation there)
two differences between the 24-61 and 24-71 is the first has auto tension, the 61 doesn't.

I'm with you, I haven't got the slightest interest in collecting anything.
Having cancer twice in the last few years cured me of a lot of things. But never quilting!
thanks

Hey, just clicked on your link. You know how many times that rubber ball image as crossed my eyebulbs lately? Lots

In fact now that I've scrolled down I bought a packet of 24X1 needles from you today...setting my intention so to speak
Leaning toward Betsy Ross right now...subject to change

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 07-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Great fun and Good Luck Searching. Some of the toy machines seem rather flimsy while others like the Singers appear well made. Many of the toys were also advertised as traveling machines to appeal to a broader market. I choose the Singer 40K because I already had a supply of the oddball 24x3 needles and the high quality / low price and demand (around $30 and shipping).

Jon