Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Checking out my Singer what #is she? >

Checking out my Singer what #is she?

Checking out my Singer what #is she?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Default Checking out my Singer what #is she?

She weighs a ton it seems like, not very big. Has lever for knee to use as pedal. It was my neighbor's husband's grandma who used to have this machine and someone wired her for elec. Can I use a hand crank on her. She has a very nice case, but one side doesn't lock to hold it in order to carry it. has key, serial # G8913874[ATTACH=CONFIG]439839[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439840[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439843[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails little-singer-005.jpg   little-singer-001.jpg   little-singer-004.jpg   little-singer-002.jpg   little-singer-003.jpg  

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM

128 with la vencendora decals, 1st Aug 1921.
May have been hand cranked when new, but possibly not. I haven't seen many electrified models from the early '20s
Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 PM

I've seen this model most often in a case with electric and the knee bar (no pedal). Your case has the hole where the knee lever would have gone - normally the wires on those are bad so someone probably re-wired this for the foot pedal. And that could have been done many, many years ago to update to "modern" connections.

Can you take a picture inside the cover? there should be brackets to hold the knee bar.

When you say one side of the case does not lock - is it missing the bracket? There are two styles of brackets, and while the lock side is interchangeable, the other side is not. The other side will have a bent bracket that hooks into the bottom bracket, or it's got a T bracket that slides down and then out to hold that side of the case.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks, Macybaby. yes it does have the hole for the knee control. the bracket is there. they had it turned around. There are brackets to hold the knee bar inside the cover. I haven't cleaned it or anything yet. I am anxiously waiting for DH to get busy on the addition. has the porch off and cleaned up--don't know if anything else will get done this fall as the snow will soon be flying and I am temp off work due to the govt shutdown.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM

I believe it's a 128-13. I have one just like it. I kept the knee lever but it can be setup as a hand crank. Determining factor is the spoke hand wheel.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've seen this model most often in a case with electric and the knee bar (no pedal). Your case has the hole where the knee lever would have gone - normally the wires on those are bad so someone probably re-wired this for the foot pedal.
Mine had the original wiring. I received a great price as it's only auction description was, "it looks positively dangerous." It was, but rewiring took care of that. The electrical connections are an interesting setup. Each wire has a bullet type plug which slips over a brass-type post. I was able to salvage the original posts. I'm very proud of the little beauty.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:12 PM

I've got one too - mine was missing the knee lever so I bought one - then discovered there are two types LOL!!

Mine also came without a top, and I found one with a busted bottom so bought that. However the back bracket was not the same style as that on the bottom - bought the hardware off ebay and replaced that so it will hold when closed.

I have mine in a cabinet made to hold the 3/4 size case. DH cleaned, re-wired and adjusted it for me (he's my OSMG).

Mine is a 1925 model

Old 10-05-2013, 06:16 PM

I saw the photo just above, and thought "Oh no, don't let Macybaby see those boxes of attachments!".

Then, Macybaby, I saw that you were the poster of the photo.

You and your Attachment Disorder! Yeesh.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM

just thought I would show pictures of my baby with her new hand crank and she sews so nice. smooooth.[ATTACH=CONFIG]441682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]441683[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]441684[/ATTACH]I had to take the crank off to close the case again. Thanks for looking. Amy
Attached Thumbnails little-singer-001.jpg   little-singer-002.jpg   little-singer-003.jpg