Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Chocolate Brown Domestic Machine >

Chocolate Brown Domestic Machine

Chocolate Brown Domestic Machine

Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 AM

Default Chocolate Brown Domestic Machine

I saw this shiny chocolate brown Domestic machine in a local store last week. The tag said it was made in 1934. It had a decent looking squarish wooden case. I know nothing about Domestics, but was intrigued by the color. Asking price was $45. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails dom.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 AM

Know nothing of them either but the color is very intriguing. And it comes with a knee bar. For those $$ how bad can it be if everything moves???
Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 AM

The knee bar is worth $30 by itself - though I doubt it goes with this machine (it looks like Singer). Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anything other than Singers with knee bars for the cases like that. . .

This is a badged White machine, so it takes White bobbins, and White top clamp attachments. White took control of Domestic in the 20's, and after that "Domestic" because a badge name for White.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM

The manual is there and if the accessory box is too I would call it a good price. I expect a bit of work on these machiens, and I know it costs a bit to replace electrical wires, rubber tires and pulleys. If you like the machine and think you will use it it's always worth it. If the knee lever is an original set up there should be a fitting up under the lid to latch it in place. If not a new pedal is easily found, suitable vintage or brand new. In chairty and second hand stores parts often gets moved around, (even sneakily added to a machine!); the lever could belong to a machine near by. If not you will do a good deed by selling it to someone who is looking for one. I have been interested in the rotary bobbin mechanism on these White and Domestic machines, but they hardly turn up here at all.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't recall if there was a foot controller with it or not. After I noticed the friction drive roller with a big flat spot I kind of lost interest. But I now see that the roller is replaceable, so it's not a big issue to deal with. I'll try to go back and have another look at it soon.

Mickey2 - I saw another Domestic, in brown crinkle finish at another shop with a $25 price tag. I have no interest in it, but I can get you the contact information if you are.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
Mickey2 - I saw another Domestic, in brown crinkle finish at another shop with a $25 price tag...I can get you the contact information if you are.
Nothing wrong with the price, but I wonder how much it would cost to send it over seas? (I'm in Norway). It might surive the trip. After my interest fell on vintage sewing machines I noticed these early rotary bobbin machines and read some very positve feed back from someone who fixed up a treadle version of it. I have read the motor pulley can be noisy, but the treadle version is suppose to be super smooth. If a machine turns up here (I have seen later Whites and Domestic models, like two or three literally the last three years) I might get it and try to set it up with a belt driven motor if it can be converted. They are usually quiet. I have replaced a rubber pulley on an Elna Supermatic and I was lucky to get a aluminium version with rubber O-rings, very easy and and no fuzz to replaced when needed. It might work on a Domestic too? The metal bit could in theory be spray painted black or brown.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM

*** Love the color.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM

No doubt shipping would be prohibitive.

I've never been a fan of the crinkle finish, but this glossy chocolate is very appealing. Too bad the name on it I not "Hershey" ;-)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:56 PM

the one I have is not as pretty of a chocolate brown - but it's got pretty decals

Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
the one I have is not as pretty of a chocolate brown - but it's got pretty decals...
It looks nice. Most pre WWII machines I've seen have been black, with the odd exception, various green hues, brown, a greyish light blue.

...but tell us how it runs and stitches, and how it is to work on :- )