Christmas machines?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM

Over the last few years I have noticed that some sellers raise their prices on the machines prior to Christmas. I see the same thing prior to Mother's Day.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 AM

I rather enjoy the Holiday Season sewing machines myself. Sure, sometimes the prices are high, but it’s the best time of the year to see unusual models that aren’t seen as much the rest of the year. And many times the prices can be really good, with people dragging out old sewing machines that they know very little about. The Singer Model 13 spotted and mentioned on another thread is a good example.

As far as the sewing machine buyer/collector is concerned, there’s a virtual smorgasbord of machines that pop up out of nowhere during December. It’s kind of like the sewing machine version of Whack-a-mole for about a month. I popped what I think is a Singer 35-1 a few minutes ago, for what I think is a good price. I’ve been wanting one to play with for a long time, but they usually go for more than I want to spend just to fiddle with one. I seldom buy machines that have to be shipped to me, but I’m taking a chance on this one. I’ll be on pins and needles worrying about damage to it until it arrives.

Collectors! Get out your check book and your mole mallet! The season has begun!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

I agree. Around Christmas we do tend to see lots of cool deals. I am watching one on that auction site now... all other possibilities are on hold... hehe
Old 12-05-2014, 01:10 PM

It seems to me that everything on ebay is going higher -- of course, a lot of the prices listed on ebay are enough to give one the giggles! I'm not really in the market for anything right now, and have nothing I want to sell, so I cruise through the websites for possibly parts for my machines, or attachments, but that's it for me right now! Enjoy!

Jeanette
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Champanier View Post
I thought this was going to be a post on how to decorate your machines for Christmas! I was thinking of adding a small wreath to the red eye, but it lives where the tree goes and I guess the tree is going to have to take precedence.

DH has come up with a clever plan for camouflaging some of the sewing machines. He's going to put them together in a corner and drape with the snow batting, then set up the houses for the Christmas village on top. We are using every corner (and double parking) the rest of them.
That is such a good idea!!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
At 1/3 you'll insult the person every time. What really makes me nuts is that when I have machines available, they're fully serviced and being sold for less than the going rate for a service, and I mention that in the ad. They still pull that.

If a person started at 2/3 I'd still say no because of how I price, but at 33cents on the dollar, I want to use all those words I've been told not to use in polite company.

I do negotiate on machines I Want that are priced too high. The Frister and Rossmann for instance. I set a price I was willing to pay and made an offer. That said, I started at 80% of asking price. And I showed up to ask. If I'd started at 33%, as far as I'm concerned, she'd have been totally in the right to throw my rear end out on her porch.
I agree I haven't sold sewing machines but other things. The one that stands out is a pool table, new balls, cue rack and it was in July when kids are getting bored. I was asking $100. The guy came with 2 boy teens and was obnoxious!! I GAVE it to my nephew.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I thought this was going to be a post on how to decorate your machines for Christmas! I was thinking of adding a small wreath to the red eye, but it lives where the tree goes and I guess the tree is going to have to take precedence.

DH has come up with a clever plan for camouflaging some of the sewing machines. He's going to put them together in a corner and drape with the snow batting, then set up the houses for the Christmas village on top. We are using every corner (and double parking) the rest of them.
I've given that some thought... Line some up in a row. Put a board across the top. Put 2 less machines on board. Put a board across and 2 less machines - eventually if you do enough piling you should have a tree shape... Maybe put Christmas bulbs in the light sockets for a bit of color??? If you had enough Touch & Sew machines or plastic wonders you could have an all white tree. HMMM You could even put that one out doors and not affect the machine's ability to work one little bit since 1) they already don't work very well or 2) they have been smashed with a sledgehammer - in that case you might need more than a few boards...
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 AM

Post a picture of the Christmas Village??????
Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I agree. Around Christmas we do tend to see lots of cool deals. I am watching one on that auction site now... all other possibilities are on hold... hehe
I think I got about 30 machines last Dec/Jan and six of them were free! It's Summer in Australia at Christmas
Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 AM

you guys are making my SMAD kick in big time. I'm currently watching several on eBay, and considering putting an add on Facebook in the small community where I work "Want a few more $$ for Christmas - dig out that old (1960's or older) sewing machine and send me a picture".