The Classic

Old 05-07-2021, 12:40 PM

Default The Classic

When I first saw this machine for sale, I told myself I had to have it, I mean, look at those fins! A quick turn of the hand wheel indicated a little resistance in spots during the cycling of the machine, and in my youthful exuberance ,and ignorance, I figured it was nothing a little oil wouldn’t fix (youthfulness relative to sewing machines, not so much for anything else).

The clean up started with multiple oilings, and still resistance, but at the same spot in the cycle of the machine.

I had to think about what to do next, and Leon’s and Janey’s suggestions with another machine

Problem with a Singer 66

started me looking in the nose end, lots more oil, some judicious (I thought, anyway) pry work with the screwdriver, a hammer and wooden dowel may have been used...still resistance.

It was time to actually think about what I was doing and try to isolate the problem area. I started by disconnecting the vertical connecting rods, one connecting the top and bottom main shafts, the other connecting the top to the feed dogs. I will admit I was more than a little nervous working on all this, I’d never been this aggressive taking apart a machine. The bottom mechanisms moved fine on their own, the top still had resistance. So the needle bar had to be disconnected, once done the top main shaft spun freely. It turns out the connecting rod marked with the single arrow in the front end was bent somehow. And there was no clear indication at all on which way to bend it to make it straight, so it was lots of tweaks with the pliers, the marks are evident on the piece. Week after week this went on, and at one point I just pushed the machine to the back of the workbench for months (I know Janey has one of these and I was going to ask her if she wanted it for parts). After a few weeks with no other machines to work on, I finally moved it back out front and started the whole process over again, and finally with a slight bend with the pliers I thought I’d done 10 times before the parts went back together with no binding in the needle bar and top main shaft. The double arrowed part in the picture is the one that would not slip on without binding. I reconnected all the other disconnected parts, checking for resistance or binding after each one, until it was all back together. And it even sews stitches!

I think the only lesson I learned here is to think twice, or more, about how badly I have to have any machine that I see, no matter how great it looks.
Attached Thumbnails 20210505_191048.jpg   20210505_190752.jpg   inked20210505_191026_li.jpg  
Old 05-07-2021, 01:38 PM

You're right. It's a good looking machine. I suppose the light shines through the holes on the faceplate.

With this experience, you might be able to do anything.

bkay
Old 05-07-2021, 02:09 PM

With this experience, you might be able to do anything.

bkay[/QUOTE]

Or at least I'll think I can, which is what concerns me.

I think this machine, and the 66 in the link, must have taken pretty good hits to the thread take up lever/arm, fortunately without breaking off.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:02 PM

Congratulations!! A great big to you. You are braver than I am.

It is a neat looking machine. I like the name that yours is badged.

Have fun with it now.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:34 PM

It sounds like a lot of work and a great learning experience. It makes me things on whether I really want to delve into the electric machines, other than my FW's. Glad you were able to finish the job.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like the sewing machine fairy visited during the night....
Old 05-08-2021, 06:34 AM

Yeah! It is a classy looking machine. Congrats on getting it sewing again. Sometimes, it's easy sometimes not. Glad you kept going.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:40 AM

It is definitely a nice looking machine. Congrats on getting it working!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:09 AM

Beautiful machine and what a great outcome to your project! Lots of learning experience and you should have a great sense of satisfaction. Pat yourself on the back!
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 AM

Fabulous. You learned a grat deal and have a working machine. One of my Dad's rules was 'Stop before you break something."

You had patience, took a break and got it going.