Cleaning my Singer 15

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Cleaning my Singer 15

I have been cleaning my 1903 Singer 15 and have a question about how to get the gleaming silver I see in the pictures of these old machines. I soaked the face plate and decorative cover for the back access in kerosene and scrubbed all traces of dirt and rust off them. Then I used Brasso metal polish on them until they appear to be clean and have that dull shine of steel. They do not look shiny silver like the ones I have seen on this forum do after cleaning. Am I missing something or are the "silver" parts of this machine steel and of the other machines chrome so they simply are not going to shine the same?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM

I use Bar Keepers Friend on the shiny metal parts of machines so that they don't get damaged. BKF is made for all shiny metal surfaces, and will not scratch or dull them. You might try that. It comes in a can similar to Bon Ami. I used it on my 120 year old Davis, and it worked great.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
here is one I did: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html and lots of info.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 AM

This is what I use: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/polish

Check out all of his blog entries....there is so-o-o much helpful info on it.

I bought mine on Amazon. It smells good, too...no harsh chemical smell
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1727.jpg   dsc_1739.jpg   dsc_1760.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks guys,

I will try a different metal polish and see if I can shine the silver parts up better.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Unless they're chrome or nickle plated, they aren't going to shine... I have a 28K that doesn't...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Unless they're chrome or nickle plated, they aren't going to shine... I have a 28K that doesn't...
I thought it was just me. I have a couple old 66s that don't shine either. Seems like the plating isn't sticking in places either. They turn and they sew just fine - just don't look like much.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Thank you Charlee and Miriam. I think that must be the problem. I can get the soft glow of clean polished steel on part of the wheel but some parts are now just a smooth almost black steel. The cover on the back I think is as clean as I can get it without damage to the engraving but appears to be steel rather tan chrome or nickel plated. I wondered if the chome had worn off the wheel or if it was never chrome at all.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by I Herd Ewe View Post
Thank you Charlee and Miriam. I think that must be the problem. I can get the soft glow of clean polished steel on part of the wheel but some parts are now just a smooth almost black steel. The cover on the back I think is as clean as I can get it without damage to the engraving but appears to be steel rather tan chrome or nickel plated. I wondered if the chome had worn off the wheel or if it was never chrome at all.
Come as you are you will be loved... some seem to be so well loved the paint and chrome wears off I guess - you have to figure someone paid dear for that machine. They paid dear for fabric and for thread and patterns if they had any. They scrimped and saved anyway they could. We live in such a throw away society these days. Throw away clothes, throw away relationships, throw away cars (cash for clunkers), throw away food.... paper plate mentality I guess.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Come as you are you will be loved... some seem to be so well loved the paint and chrome wears off I guess - you have to figure someone paid dear for that machine. They paid dear for fabric and for thread and patterns if they had any. They scrimped and saved anyway they could. We live in such a throw away society these days. Throw away clothes, throw away relationships, throw away cars (cash for clunkers), throw away food.... paper plate mentality I guess.
That may be true but this machine turns out to be far from homely. Other than not having shiney chrome it is now about as pretty as they get! It will be fully functional too. It sews when I hand turn the wheel. I am anxiously awaiting the parts (belt, spindle for thread and throat plate) to have it complete and put it to work.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-04-11_15-21-15_283.jpg   2012-04-11_15-20-42_426.jpg