Is this machine a 66?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Default Is this machine a 66?

I'm watching this auction on GW: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9753926

I think it's a Singer Mdl 66, but there are things about that don't look right.
The name plate on the arm, no badge on the pillar.
The quick release presser foot adjuster. ( Looks like a Japanese 15 clone.)
There is no motor boss on the side, could be a very early 66?
After market motor, foot controller and wiring, but that's nothing unusual really.

So is this an early 66 that was refurb'd by SINGER or what????

Just curious as it intrigues me.

Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Many shops refurbished the old treadle heads to electric in the 40's and 50's. Good way to re use an old beat up head into something more sell-able at the time. Looks like a Singer with new paint, balance wheel, electric set up, and presser foot adjuster, probably around 1910. Neat machine.

Jon
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM

Ummmm....I'd say 1940s when they were doing all the other crinkle finish machines. Not early, as in 1910-20, as they didn't do crinkle back then. I don't think it's a re-do.

Edit - You know, I looked again, and this machine has a vertical bobbin under that slide plate, so, no, NOT a 66. Maybe a 201? Am I wrong? Doesn't the 66's have horizontal bobbin?

Maybe I'm way off here....someone help!!! LOL

Last edited by jljack; 04-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM

But I thought 201s and 66s have horizontal bobbins and 15s have vertical bobbins....

Dorothy in PA
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Ummmm....I'd say 1940s when they were doing all the other crinkle finish machines. Not early, as in 1910-20, as they didn't do crinkle back then. I don't think it's a re-do.

Edit - You know, I looked again, and this machine has a vertical bobbin under that slide plate, so, no, NOT a 66. Maybe a 201? Am I wrong? Doesn't the 66's have horizontal bobbin?

I just looked again and I don't see any photos that show the bobbin plate open. So how did you determine the bobbin is a vertical one?

The shape of the machine is 66, not 15. The bobbins in the pic are Class 66 not Class 15s. The bobbin slide plate is just like the ones on my 66s.

I'm still leaning on that being a refurbished 66.

And it's not a 201 as they have the horizontal top loading bobbins just like the 66s.

Joe
Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Hi,

I does look like a 1940's model with an unusual Singer "plaque" except for the missing motor boss. Don't believe Singer made machines without it past 1910+_ . Slide plate and bobbin winder is also an older style. The Gozzilla finish along with other aspects of this machine are interesting and puzzling.

Jon

Originally Posted by jljack View Post

Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I went and looked at a picture of my 66-1, and realized I remembered wrong about the slide plate over the bobbin...horizontal or vertical, the slide plates look almost the same on the older machines.

Anyway....I still think a 1940's era with the Godzilla finish. Don't understand the lack of a motor boss, either. Maybe an aberation? Some of these old gals keep their ages a deep dark secret!! :-)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM

The main two reasons I think it's a non-Singer refurb are these. The lack of motor boss and the non-Singer looking motor, and the serial number has been painted over too. I have a factory crinkle machine from 1938. It's got updates to it ( the more modern bobbin winder and the later stitch regulator) and the serial number is clear and unpainted. I'm posting my front view pic again just for comparison purposes. If money wasn't so tight I'd go for that one GW just see what it really is. Joe
Attached Thumbnails tensioner-threading.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Joe,

It is a Singer 66. If it was a 201 there would be a motor boss and it would have reverse and this one doesn't.
The 'no motor boss' indicates that it was a treadle head, probably a 66-1from early 1900s. These heads were repainted/ refurbished during the 1940s & early 1950s and had the Singer name plate riveted on. During the war there were few if any sewing machines being made, so the 'dealers' had to make do with what they could get their hands on (old used machines). The refurbishing was not done by Singer, but by independent companies. I have an old ad from 02/1950 for "used Singer head electrified by National Stores" with a picture looking a lot like this 'shopgoodwill 'machine.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I'm watching this auction on GW: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9753926

I think it's a Singer Mdl 66, but there are things about that don't look right.
The name plate on the arm, no badge on the pillar.
The quick release presser foot adjuster. ( Looks like a Japanese 15 clone.)
There is no motor boss on the side, could be a very early 66?
After market motor, foot controller and wiring, but that's nothing unusual really.

So is this an early 66 that was refurb'd by SINGER or what????

Just curious as it intrigues me.

Joe
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM

Cathy,

Thanks for clearing this up. I figured it was an early 66 but the other details were missing.
Do you know if there is any markings on the machines that indicate who did the refurb?

As far as the war years, Singer made lots of military equipment. Just a couple was the 1911a1 pistol and the Nordon bomb sight.

Joe