Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight maintenance question >

Featherweight maintenance question

Featherweight maintenance question

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Default Featherweight maintenance question

I have had my Featherweight for about a year now and had it serviced when I got it home, and have oiled it once myself. My question is how often should it be oiled and greased? My little owners' manual doesn't really say how often. I don't use my machine every day but do use it at least once a month for a few hours. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Quoted from Singer 221-1 manual dated 1-48.

To Oil the Machine
Page 24:
To insure easy running, the machine require oiling and if used continuously it should be oiled each day. With moderate use, an occasional oiling is sufficient.

Page 27:
USE ONLY "SINGER" MOTOR LUBRICANT FOR LUBRICATING THE MOTOR. A tube of this lubricant is sent with the machine.

The SINGER Motor Lubricant is a specially prepared non-flowing compound which is not affected by varying temperatures. It is the only lubricant which will positively lubricate the motor. Other lubricants, including oil, vaseline or ordinary grease must not be used for lubricating the motor as they are harmful for this purpose.

When the machine is shipped from the factory, the two motor grease tubes (A, Fig. 27) are filled with sufficient SINGER Motor Lubricant for approximately six months of use, under ordinary circumstances.
At least once every six months thereafter, these grease tubes should be refilled with the SINGER Motor Lubricant. <snip>
Well, perhaps my manual is written differently, but these instructions seem fairly clear to me.
And to the best of my typing ability the above is a direct word for word quote from the manual.
Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-11-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM

What Joe said. That is what my manual says and having had them apart to work on I agree that they need oiled more than just when they are cleaned and serviced. I oil mine, let it sit for a few minutes, remove the needle and bobbin and run it "full throttle" for a couple of minutes to sling that oil every where. That keeps me from getting excess oil on my projects. I have a piece of folded fabric that I sew on again after I thread the machine to run out any excess oil that gets on the thread. I always put that fabric under the presser foot when I put the machine away.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

I oil mine fairly often when in use daily----I too like to" oil, let sit, remove needle and bobbin, run, and SLING OIL EVERYWHERE" My dad always kept his tools well oiled and they lasted a long time and I believe in oil too.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 AM

DH changes the oil in our vehicles evbery 3,000 miles, so I go with that thinking for my machines. Since the motors and mechanics of the machines are much smaller, I oil and lube my Featherweights after about 8 hours of sewing or if I get caught up and can't that often, at least once a week if I am using them for a particular project, I too, oil, let sit and test on a piece of fab. I oil my Bernina after every big project, and often during the process of the project if it is a quilt or big project.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Purple fiend posted a photo of an pan she had made for her machine. I thought that was so clever! I had the oil flying everywhere a few days ago, an oil pan would be better than the old towel I currently use.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM

I've gotten into the habit of putting folded up paper towels under my machines after I oil them. They usually drip a bit.

Joe
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Thank you everyone. I realize I am not oiling my machines often enough. Need to get in the habit.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM

If you are regularly oiling your machine (in all the parts indicated), you only need ONE drop of oil in each spot.
I oil the bobbin area more frequently---each day of sewing.