Is this machine a 66?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM

Looks just like the 66-16 that I just bought, and it is a 3/4 size, I like mine alot. That sure seems cheap enough to me. I would get it in a minute, but know nothing about bidding on GW, and satisfied that I have one. Think I would like a 201 next. Have a great day!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Joe,
It is a Singer 66. ...repainted/ refurbished during the 1940s & early 1950s and had the Singer name plate riveted on. ...not done by Singer, but by independent companies.
Cathy
I agree. The “Metal Name Plates” (No. 1260) were available to independent shops in 1951 for $.20 ea, $2.20/Doz, or $16.00/100. Plates were available for White, Singer, Domestic, Davis, Eldredge, Standard, Free, National, New Home, and Wheeler & Wilson.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM

I knew you guys would clear up this mystery. Sorry for my curve ball...I should learn to keep my mouth shut until I go LOOK at my machine, and then only speak when I'm very sure!! Excuse me, please! :-)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by SharynE View Post
Looks just like the 66-16 that I just bought, and it is a 3/4 size, I like mine alot. That sure seems cheap enough to me. I would get it in a minute, but know nothing about bidding on GW, and satisfied that I have one. Think I would like a 201 next. Have a great day!
Sharyn,

Not a -16. It has no stitch length control lever, only the knob. No motor boss. So it's pre -16 by a long ways.

CD in OK,
Where do you guys get all the fantastic information? I'm a search dufas so I couldn't find it with a seeing eye cat.

Joe
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM

Joe,

I do not think that these dealers put identifying marks on their refurbished machines.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

Thanks for clearing this up. I figured it was an early 66 but the other details were missing.
Do you know if there is any markings on the machines that indicate who did the refurb?

As far as the war years, Singer made lots of military equipment. Just a couple was the 1911a1 pistol and the Nordon bomb sight.

Joe
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 AM

The power conversion kit shown on that machine appears to be the “Singer Portable Combination Set” (No. CC), which included a 1/20 HP motor, 6-ft lead cord w/light block, 5-speed foot control, solid hand wheel, motor bracket /w screws, straight-shade light w/bracket, and belt. The kit set the shop back $18.00 in 1951....unless, of course, one of four portable cases was included, which raised the cost to $28-$32.

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: Can't tell for sure from the photos, but that may be the Streamliner Portable Case (P315)....

Last edited by ThayerRags; 04-14-2012 at 05:03 AM.