Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning you Vintage Machine Part Three......Finish Repair >

Cleaning you Vintage Machine Part Three......Finish Repair

Cleaning you Vintage Machine Part Three......Finish Repair

Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Kas

Well, I am scared by it all! I couldn't completely clean the thing because I couldn't get the tensioner out. Someone stripped the screw holding on the presser foot clamp. It is a 66-1, I am figuring out since the feet attatch from the back.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kas
Well, I am scared by it all! I couldn't completely clean the thing because I couldn't get the tensioner out. Someone stripped the screw holding on the presser foot clamp. It is a 66-1, I am figuring out since the feet attatch from the back.
I love those machines and I have 2 66-1's and a later 66-18 or 19.

Dont let it get the better of you heat and WD 40 are your best friends but not open flames!!!

Billy
Old 06-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Kas

What? No open flames around the kerosene? Where is your sense of adventure?!?! :lol:
Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kas
What? No open flames around the kerosene? Where is your sense of adventure?!?! :lol:
Well that is another story........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 07-11-2010, 04:19 AM

Hi Billy,
I have not cleaned or put my machine back together yet. After I took it apart life got really busy. My husband says that I will not be able to put this back together. This got me a little scared. So I went on a hunt this morning to find all of your tutes. I have bookmarked them so that I will not lose them. Hopefully I will be able to get back on this shortly. I found 3 tutes. Is this all of them? I sure am glad I have a lap top so that I can carry it to the basement with me. As soon as I get all of this put back together I will post pics. Oh, yes, are you also going to post pics for refinishing the cabinet as well?
Thanks so much for your help. This means a lot to me.
Chamby
Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Hi Billy,
I have not cleaned or put my machine back together yet. After I took it apart life got really busy.
***My husband says that I will not be able to put this back together. ***
This got me a little scared. So I went on a hunt this morning to find all of your tutes. I have bookmarked them so that I will not lose them. Hopefully I will be able to get back on this shortly. I found 3 tutes. Is this all of them? I sure am glad I have a lap top so that I can carry it to the basement with me. As soon as I get all of this put back together I will post pics. Oh, yes, are you also going to post pics for refinishing the cabinet as well?
Chamby
Don't be scared! It's an adventure.

Oh by the way - will you putting the "I told you I could do it" presentation on UTUBE?
ROFLMAO
You can do it - you have experts here who can help.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

You tell hubby to take a seat and grab a drink because you fixing to send him back to school!! :lol:

There is only three and I need to do a couple more for the Electrical, refinishing the cabinets and treadles, and assembly. Just have not had time yet.......:opps:

Billy

Originally Posted by chamby
Hi Billy,
I have not cleaned or put my machine back together yet. After I took it apart life got really busy. My husband says that I will not be able to put this back together. This got me a little scared. So I went on a hunt this morning to find all of your tutes. I have bookmarked them so that I will not lose them. Hopefully I will be able to get back on this shortly. I found 3 tutes. Is this all of them? I sure am glad I have a lap top so that I can carry it to the basement with me. As soon as I get all of this put back together I will post pics. Oh, yes, are you also going to post pics for refinishing the cabinet as well?
Chamby
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks Billy. I am working on a treadle. I have it all apart. I just need to get my supplies and clean the machine and put it back together.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Billy, I decided not to touch up the paint as the model paint didn't match very well. So I am trying to get it back together and have a question or two.

Sorry I don't know the correct name of the parts as the manual is in Japanese. I believe the bobbin holder goes in the top hole. But not sure how the wire spring lever sits as there seems to be no wear on the paint to indicate where it was.

The lever goes in the lower hole and can get the spring in the appropriate holes. But where does the washer go?

Any advice on which to mount first to make it easier to accomplish?

Thanks,

two holes that the parts mount into
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94764[/ATTACH]

the lever parts are laid in order of assembly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94766[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94759.jpe   attachment-94760.jpe   attachment-94761.jpe  
Old 08-21-2010, 05:43 AM

Billy, I took my machine apart several weeks ago, thinking I was going to clean it immediately. After many hours of scrubbing the machine and parts in kerosene yesterday, I am ready to clean and polish today. BUT my son (who helped me dismantle) admitted "we may not be able to get it back together." We forget how some of the areas were assembled. I had separated the parts by areas on a cookie sheet while dismantling and cleaning, so they are still in groups. There is an occasional screw I can't figure out. I have a Singer 66 - circa 1929. Do you have any pictures to help me out - particularly the tension area scares me. I could take pictures of the groups I am not sure of and show them to you as I go! Any suggestions? HELP!!!