Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado get-together?

Quote Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
    Okay, everyone -- how about this Saturday, Oct. 24th, for a quick get-to-know-each-other at the Starbucks off I-25 and state 52 in Longmont/Frederick? ... I thought that area might be a good halfway point for those of us in Denver and Fort Collins.
    How about 11 a.m.?
    It's all flexible, so chime in if the day or time isn't great for you.
    Ila
    Sounds good. Have you been there before?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Hi Janey and John,
    I haven't been to that particular Starbucks before, but I checked the street view on Google Maps and it's a standalone store, not a little section in a Starbucks, so I thought that would work. It's right off the freeway, too.
    Ila

Quote Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
    Okay, everyone -- how about this Saturday, Oct. 24th, for a quick get-to-know-each-other at the Starbucks off I-25 and state 52 in Longmont/Frederick? ... might be a good halfway point for those of us in Denver and Fort Collins.
    How about 11 a.m.?
    It's all flexible, so chime in if the day or time isn't great for you.
    Ila
    Surely there are more than a few of us in the front range that have posted in this forum. Hopefully, more will respond and let "us" know that they will be coming or comment/suggestion about getting together at a later date/place, if not this time.

Janey & John

If other plans don't change, I will be there! Possibly with a Guhl & Harbeck chain stitch, which may or may not be sewing.

Dianne in Colorado
    Needle down......foot down......sew!

Good news! Two of my sewing machine friends will also be able to come, Christine and Susan. We've gotten together on several occasions to sew with our old machines. We're really looking forward to this gathering.

Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
    Good news! Two of my sewing machine friends will also be able to come, Christine and Susan. We've gotten together on several occasions to sew with our old machines. We're really looking forward to this gathering.

Dianne
    Great!!! Will they bring a machine, too? We're looking forward to seeing the "Guhl & Harbeck chain stitch, which may or may not be sewing." AND meeting 'like minded' enthusiasts.

Janey & John

The Guhl & Harbeck is stitching, at least for the moment! My husband cobbled together a spool pin, (rather complex, with a spacer, spring, and cap) and then readjusted it, and now all is well. Promise not to laugh when you see it. Actually, only the nut on the top looks significantly different from old drawings of these machines.

Dianne

Banned
    Dianne - Shoot me a picture of the assembly. If I do not already have a more "period correct" part, I may be able to fab one up.

Gull & Harbeck details

Steve,

The spool pin consists of a metal tube, with a threaded part inside which extends out the top. There is a brass part which fits on top of the spool, then a spring, and then a knurled nut. The part atop the spool is a little too tall, and the shape off, but not bad. The spring is a shortened Singer spool pin spring, nice and light. The problem is the threading on the knurled nut does not match the threading on the spool pin, and unthreads itself when you turn the machine. So, in use, it needs the extra nut on top to keep it from spinning off.

Dan is very inventive in coming up with solutions, and these parts are from a box he keeps of things scavenged here and there. Bear in mind, this started as a wood dowel and two washers on top of the spool. Something is needed to keep the spool from hopping with each stitch, making for loose stitches, and a simple spool felt could not do the job. That explains why old drawings show these features.

These are the first photos I loaded into and adjusted on my new computer. Challenging, and I've no idea how the picture of the machine got that interesting shadowed effect in the background. Will figure it out eventually.

The gist of this is I'm not unhappy with the way this looks as a display piece (without the nut) and finding parts that match up exactly is probably next to impossible. If you have suggestions, they would be appreciated, and if you know of sources for odd little parts with threading like used in 1890s Germany, that would be stupendous!

Dianne
    Attached Images Attached Images

My fingers messed up the heading......and it doesn't seem to be editable. Sigh. It is, of course, Guhl and Harbeck.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Banned
    Looks good, and I see why you dislike the nut on top. What I would do in this case it to verify the thread and pitch of the threads and make a new lock nut in brass.

If you can tell me the thread info and the diameter of the existing brass knurled nut, I could make or find one pretty easy. I would consider a brass acorn nut as well.

Edit: Also I am curious about the angle of the thread entering the upper tension. I know of no machines designed to have that type of offset. I wonder if it should be in a different sequence of assembly (brass waisted part on the bottom. I will do some research to see what an all original looks like.

Edit 2: OK, that was quick.... I would suggest that the spring should go Above the tension disks. that would lower the tension. If you put the brass waisted part under the spool the alignment would be better.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Moving the spring under the tension disks - where it sits atop the thicker part of the pin - it now looks correct, with the thread lining up as in the drawings. Did I ever mention that I'm not terribly mechanical?

Really looking forward to tomorrow!

Dianne

Great fun!!! hopefully many more

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    It would be neat if you held this after the Row by Row starts - then I'd have a lot of fun visiting all the quilt shops on the route!
    I've read about the Row by Row but not familiar with the time frame. Will it be able to coincide with the June 3rd 2016 or will it be later?

Got home a little bit ago.

The Guhl & Harbeck is sure cute and sews a great stitch. I forgot to ask if maybe could use thicker thread. I'm not sure I answered correctly, but I think that the hole in the front of where the needle goes is so thought one could thread cording (maybe crochet thread) through and stitch it on. BTW does any one know the correct pronunciation of Guhl? Does it rhyme with rule or pronounced like gull?

Ila brought her Featherweight. We couldn't hear the unusual sound if there was one. Maybe the oil had marinated to where it needed to be or we just couldn't hear above the background sounds.

Sorry there weren't more of "us" but we surely enjoyed it and had nice weather, too.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-24-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    Janey & John

It was so much fun to meet some other vintage machine addicts! Loved seeing the little chain stitcher. My sullen, impatient teen-ager liked it enough to say that she might be interested in learning to sew if I buy a similar machine.
    I doubt those are easy to find, or inexpensive... we'll see.
    Let's try again for November. Maybe the weekend of the 14th-15th? That's in three weeks. The weekend after that is right before Thanksgiving. It's fine for me, but might be harder for others.
    Wish I could have stayed longer,
    Ila

It was great fun meeting fellow sewing machine fanatics, and hearing stories about their machines and adventures. The little G & H was carefully examined, and we enjoyed Ila's featherweight, as well as Janey & John's Singer pinkers. Susan and I had never seen one 'in person' before and thought they resembled pencil sharpeners more than anything else!

Anyone who missed the gathering today and would like to be included in emails planning future meetings should pm me, and we will be sure you get the information needed.

This will be the start of something grand!

Dianne

The Colorado Antique and Vintage Sewing Machine Group met yesterday, for the first time in two months. People came from all over the state to discuss their varied interests in sewing machines. We welcomed a new member Cheryl, who lives between Denver and Boulder. She has several treadle and electric machines and shared some of her experiences.

Courtney, who comes from Greeley and is a retired teacher, brought pictures of a treadle base he made from scratch, as well as two quilts he is making from student squares. He showed his method for seaming them together.

John and Courtney talked about the differences in rotary bobbins going two times around per needle stroke vs. some which revolve only once. Sort of an obscure observation, but with interesting mechanics.

Diane, who comes from forty miles south of Denver, brought one of the cutest toy machines that most of us had ever seen. It was a Necchi, a chain stitch machine and all metal. It was in beautiful condition and came with its own original case. She also brought a StitchMaster attachment for a back clamp machine.

John and Janey, from Denver, took care of the reservations and Janey brought some of her beginning work with a fagoter, making ornate thread patterns, each several inches in length.

We're still debating on a meeting next month, depending on how many people we have who are able to attend.

John & Janey
    Colorado Antique and Vintage Sewing Machine Enthusiasts
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-14-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Janey & John

You bet! And we will invite friends, as well!
    Margaret F

We had a small meeting of the Colorado Vintage Sewing Machine Enthusiasts, Saturday the 10th, at Perkins in south Denver. Diane came from the south, Cheryl came from the north. Courtney is in Connecticut this month and several others were unable to attend. But we had a good talk among the small group.

Diane Brought a sample of fabric with several high quality reproductions of various Singer sewing machines. She also brought several half square triangles from a block exchange, with notes about the machine used to sew the square on each one. Quite a variety of machines, even one done with a chain stitch.

Janey brought a Kenmore buttonholer to show Cheryl. Probably from the early eighties, it features top changeable cams.

The subject of sewing machine movements came up again. Cheryl and I talked about rotary hooks which go around once vs. twice. She pointed out that a Singer 115 she has uses a single rotation of the hook for each needle stroke. I had thusfar only noticed this with White Rotary and our relatively newly acquired Junker & Ruh. Most rotary machines go around twice.

Diane asked about a Free Model 5. Being unfamiliar with it, Janey came up with the following picture from her repository of sewing machine info. We don't have this machine, so a picture is all I have to go on. It is said to have a very good feel to it. Perhaps some of you on QB have more knowledge, or even an actual machine.

The caption with the picture was "Is it a rotary or a vibrating shuttle?" While there is a novel mechanism for swinging the shuttle back an forth, it still seems like a vibrating shuttle to me, just a different method of moving it.

We're hoping to have more of the people back next month. More then.

John & Janey
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: remove copyright image, should have used link
    Janey & John

I'm so jealous! I would love to attend such knowledgeable meeting in SoCal. Although, my idea of SoCal seems to be farther south than some...

Banned
    Glad I could help. I wasn't sure if I was remembering the right machine or not and I didn't go over to VSS and look for it like I usually do.

Cari

The Colorado Antique Sewing Machine Enthusiasts met again today at Perkins in Denver.

Courtney brought a 221 Featherweight to show, which appeared to be in very nice condition. He also made each of us a thread spool holder, which assists with feeding from larger spools. It sits on the spool pin and alows the thread to pull upwards, allowing for better feed. Very clever.

Diane brought a tiny Bing sewing machine, believed to have been made in Belgium. The top and bottom mechanisms are coupled with a chain. Really cute and does a chain stitch (not to be confused with the chain drive).

Cheryl brought her husband Chris to the group, along with a beige Singer 20, complete with hard shell case and instruction manual. Also a chain stitcher.

Janey and I shared pictures of our workstand with Cheryl and Chris, who being our newest members had not yet seen it..

A picture of the three machines that entertained us is shown below.

Name:  SewingGroup070817..jpg
Views: 347
Size:  101.3 KB

With people now back from their summer sojourns, we plan to meet again next month.

John
    Janey & John

Correction: The Bing sewing machine shown above was made in Germany, not Belgium. John
    Janey & John

The Colorado Vintage and Antique Sewing Machine Enthusiasts met Saturday, August 12th, at the Perkins in Denver at I-25 and Colorado Boulevard. We had a more lively meeting than usual, due to attendance by several of our usual group, plus we had two new people join us. We made the acquaintance of Paula, from the Denver area and Dorothy, who came down from Longmont, north of Denver.

For show-and-tell, Cheryl got a Wilcox & Gibbs treadle for a very good price. We looked at pictures of it, since it was obviously too big to bring. Paula and Dorothy introduced themselves and talked a little of their interests, both well experienced with sewing machines and belong to other sewing groups.

Diane brought some instruction materials for Singer Featherweights, notably a small reproduction manual in pristine condition.

Janey brought some stitching samples from a couple of machines she's working on and discussed the stitches they are making with the group.

There was a little discussion about movements, particularly a system called "rotoscillo", used by some sewing machines around the time that rotary machines came onto the market. The many different kinds of movements, and how they are related (or not), is a particular interest of mine.

Courtney brought one of his new acquisitions, a very cute Necchi "Mirella" handcrank machine. It also has an internal motor. Motorized or handcrank operation may be selected with a clutch. That way, the motor doesn't put drag on the machine when using the handcrank.

We set it up on a table in the restaurant and got these pictures at the last minute. With all of the meeting and greeting, somehow the handcrank got put away, before these pictures were taken. The crank (not shown) goes into the obvious hole shown on the end of the machine and is made from chrome rod, with two 90 degree bends and a simple handle. The machine worked smoothly as all tried it (before we put the crank away for safekeeping). What a nice little machine!

Necchi Mirella Front View
    Name:  NecchiMirellaFront.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  64.9 KB

Necchi Mirella End View
    Name:  NecchiMirellaEnd.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  80.6 KB

We are shifting the meeting next month to the 1st Saturday of the month, to accommodate some other people who would like to attend, but have regular prior commitments on the 2nd Saturday each month.

More then,

John
    Janey & John

Rats. I was hoping to make it. Oh well another time.

Quote Originally Posted by leonf View Post
    Rats. I was hoping to make it. Oh well another time.
    You could bring some of those machines you passed on. I see a few that I would like to see in person. Of course a twelve hour drive one way, I would expect that you might be exhausted and I would be happy to watch over your machines.

Janey & John

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast