james-image6.jpeg

james-image7.jpeg

... to be continued
Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 AM

Default November Colorado Get Together - Part 4

james-image8.jpeg

james-image9.jpeg

Cheryl & Chris

Cheryl and Chris send information and several pictures of machines that she got from a friend. Cheryl apparently has some very nice friends. She sends the following:

I'll be sending two emails. First one is about the machines from my friend that I'm keeping. As Courtney mentioned, the friend who dropped off previous machines came and dropped off about 20 more! Courtney got the sweetest 128 backside (sp?) I've ever seen. I decided to keep a Greyhound made by New Home that came with its Greyhound motor that looks just like those Hamilton Beech motors. I always wanted one of those motors. It has a non-standard plug that doesn't plug into anything we have. I'm also keeping a nice looking Singer 15 with RAF decals from 1936. Also, there was a motor mount that attaches where the back plate goes. Janey might be interested in that.

cheryl and chris

cheryl-greyhoundsewingmachine.jpg

cheryl-greyhoundmotor.jpg

cheryl-greyhoundplug.jpg

... to be continued
Old 11-03-2021, 06:47 AM

Default November Colorado Get Together - Part 5

cheryl-singer15raf.jpg

cheryl-motormountbackplate.jpg

In her followup email about machines available to others, Cheryl sends this:

This email includes a list of all the machines I'm giving away - FREE to good home.

Machines vary from being able to sew to being parts machines. Loads of motors and some controllers that could be attached to some of these machines.

My friend's spouse brought these over. All were missing parts, but he also brought over a tub of parts.
Some parts were in baggies labelled, but that didn't help much. Some of the missing parts were incomplete or found in other baggies. I searched through the baggies and put the parts I could find on the machines that needed them. This brought quite a few to completion or near enough that I could test them. I'm also giving away a complete box of cams. I included a few pictures, but have pictures of all the machines if anyone is interested.

Nice Model 66 red eye head sews needs the teeny tiny upper thread guide screw

Model 15-88 head missing slide plate and bobbin case, sews

Franklin head, missing parts

306, missing parts

Necchi, no motor no bobbin case

Necchi missing needle plate, slide plate, back plate and foot,
no bobbin case but has a motor,

Model 15-90 Canadian centennial, no motor, sews

Standard rotary treadle head, - I found the missing foot. has bobbin case and a bobbin

Model 15-88 head needs bobbin winder tire, sews

Model 66 has motor, but no foot controller, no spool pin, sews

Model 28 missing shuttle, missing front plate and slide plates

Model 99 with knee bar works, missing slide plate

Model 99 no motor, sews

Dressmaker 1958 frozen, appears complete, with attachments and manual.

Model 99, rusty bobbin area, motor might work knee bar controller might work.

cheryl-sewingmachinecams.jpg

cheryl-sewingmachinenecchi.jpg

cheryl-singer28.jpg

... to be continued

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-03-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:54 AM

Default November Colorado Get Together - Part 6

cheryl-standard.jpg

cheryl-standardbobbincase.jpg

cheryl-dressmaker.jpg

cheryl-singerredyeyamy.jpg

In Closing

Our thanks to members who sent their contributions, so that we can continue to post our monthly get togethers. And much appreciation to our readers.

We will post here again next month. Have a good November and a happy thanksgiving.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:32 AM

I have been MIA for some time now. I kind of lost my quilting mojo for well over a year, various reasons. Finally found it again. I decided I needed downsize my machines, because it's a shame that they are sitting unused. However, bringing my BelAir out of storage re-ignited my love of these machines. I had always intended to put this machine into a treadle, but over the years when I have looked at what was for sale in my area, the tables were either falling apart or over-priced (or both). I recently came upon a table that was in really nice condition. It also had a machine, a Singer 66 Red Eye. I was really after the table, but it is a very pretty machine. I figured I would see which machine works then figure out which to keep. I spent time this past weekend on the Singer 66 cleaning the tension assembly and doing a deep clean in the bobbin area, as well as other general cleaning/oiling. I need to change the bobbin tire. I did hand wind a small amount of thread on a bobbin to test the machine (via hand - waiting on my treadle belt to arrive). Beautiful stitches!! It was then that I realized this machine was a back clamp. I had not heard of that before, and thus didn't notice when I picked up the table and machine. That was kind of a bummer, as I want to learn to FMQ on the treadle. Doing some more digging led me to Helen Howe out of the UK. I reached out to her with a couple of questions. She replied back, and has a conversion kit still in stock. I told her I would take it. This will allow me to convert this machine to a side clamp.

Meanwhile, I have decided that I like both machines and do not want to part with the Bel Air. The Bel Air has a belted motor. Unfortunately the machine was separated from the table, which had some of the wiring for the foot pedal. So I either need to do some rewiring to keep it on the motor, or I can swap it out with the Singer 66 in the treadle, or I can turn it into a hand crank. To be determined...

Here are some pictures of the Bel Air, the plate on the Bel Air (Made in Occupied Japan - that was what I found so interesting, and why I bought the machine), as well as my new treadle table with the Singer 66 (more pictures in next post).

Attached Thumbnails bel-air.jpg   bel-air-plate.jpg   treadle-closed.jpg   treadle-open.jpg   singer-66-red-eye.jpg  

Old 11-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Additional pictures of the Singer 66 (treadle base and bobbin area that I cleaned).
Attached Thumbnails treadle-base-1.jpg   treadle-base-2.jpg   treadle-base-3.jpg   bobbin-area-preclean.jpg   bobbin-area-clean.jpg  

Old 11-03-2021, 08:35 AM

Singer 66 first stitches!

Attached Thumbnails front-stitches.jpg   back-stitches.jpg  
Old 11-03-2021, 07:11 PM

Hi, Dawn. Thank you for posting your nice looking machines. Glad you were able to get a conversion kit to switch the 66 out.

I'm guessing that you probably need something like:
https://www.amazon.com/NGOSEW-Univer.../dp/B071Z4F3DH
https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machin.../dp/B008MM6ZQQ (if you have the foot controller)
https://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-SEW.../dp/B0738QWBYJ
or even https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machin...7NDHZFY3&psc=1

Feel free to email me (at the address for the get-together group).

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-04-2021, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Hi, Dawn. Thank you for posting your nice looking machines. Glad you were able to get a conversion kit to switch the 66 out.

I'm guessing that you probably need something like:
https://www.amazon.com/NGOSEW-Univer.../dp/B071Z4F3DH
https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machin.../dp/B008MM6ZQQ (if you have the foot controller)
https://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-SEW.../dp/B0738QWBYJ
or even https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machin...7NDHZFY3&psc=1

Feel free to email me (at the address for the get-together group).

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Thank you for those links! I had been looking at this: Option for Bel Air motor/cords

However, I don't think I need the motor, I think my motor is okay. I do have a foot pedal as well that I think will work. One of your options is probably the better choice. Though I do need to replace the light. Below is a picture of the motor on the Bel Air. I will admit to knowing nothing about re-wiring, etc. I'm going to finally learn though. I have been intimidated to touch anything on my machines. I was encouraged that the Singer 66 worked after I tinkered around. I know I have done minimal thus far, but I have never taken parts off a machine to clean. I'll replace the tire bobbin this weekend. I think the whole bobbin assembly should be taken apart and cleaned, and have watched a couple of YouTube videos on that - but I don't think I am ready to tackle that yet. So, I will do what cleaning I can without totally disassembling it.

My treadle belt should come Saturday. I have oiled the base and have been trying it out to see how it feels. Looking forward to getting the belt on.

Attached Thumbnails bel-air-motor.jpg  
Old 11-05-2021, 05:21 AM

Looks like everyone has been busy. Thanks for sharing.
bkay