Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Completing my Bucket List (for now) >

Completing my Bucket List (for now)

Completing my Bucket List (for now)

Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Completing my Bucket List (for now)

With this 301A short bed, ....it arrived today in excellent condition, and needs some oiling. My only question is that is doesn't sew as wonderful a straight stitch as I had expected. How does one correct a slanted stitching pattern??? or is this just the nature of this beast. I want to use it for fmq as it has been strongly touted on this board (which is why I wanted it). Never saw one in person before but am pleased with this one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]421320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]421321[/ATTACH]
Her decals are perfect and the case is in pretty good shape, but no attachments (yet). Just wish she stitched straighter....any tips???? Haven't named her yet. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails 301machine2013-001.jpg   301machine2013-003.jpg   301machine2013-002.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:23 PM

Sounds like your tension is off or you're possibly using different weight thread in the top and bobbin. I can't see what kind of thread you have on top, but it looks rather thick.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Colleen,

What do you mean by "slanted stitching pattern"? All lock stitch machines wraps the bobbin thread around the top thread. The type of thread, tension and the weave of the fabric affects how the stitches look, sometimes a slight slant and sometimes none. To see the real stitch pattern unthread the machine and remove the bobbincase. Now sew a line on thick paper or on an index card. You should see a perfectly straight line of holes. The shows that the machine is doing it's job. Machines like the 301, 201, 66, and 221 all have the needlebar enclosed in a bushing or casting meaning that the bar can not move sideways at all so the stitches have to be straight.They just don't always look it. The needlebar does only one thing. It goes up and down.

I hope that was clearer than mud,
Cathy
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Excellent ideas from both of you....and I'll bet you are right about the tread being two different thicknesses...I just unpacked it and it had a bobbin with thread in it...Didn't CHANGE IT.. and I threaded it with a spool that was handy. So the bobbin thread and the top tread is probably different....I'm off to do a new bobbin and try again. THANKS SO MUCH.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Colleen,

Keep us informed.

Cathy

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
Excellent ideas from both of you....and I'll bet you are right about the tread being two different thicknesses...I just unpacked it and it had a bobbin with thread in it...Didn't CHANGE IT.. and I threaded it with a spool that was handy. So the bobbin thread and the top tread is probably different....I'm off to do a new bobbin and try again. THANKS SO MUCH.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM

The first thing I'd do is clean the machine. You can download a manual either from the Singer site or Jenny at sew-classic. You need to remove the screw holding the cover to the feed dogs. My 'professionally' cleaned one arrived with that area packed with compressed lint. Be sure to line up the little finger on the bobbin case holder in the slot in the bottom of the plate when you put it back together. Are the feed dogs all the way up? My AnnieRose sews a perfect seam. I haven't played with my second one yet. I made a mistake and bought a long bed and I'd rather have a short bed.

Your black machine is very pretty.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 PM

I did change the thread in the top and it sewed much better. Gonna take it apart a bit tomorrow and oil it and clean out any lint, and the feed dogs will need cleaned, so that will get done. It definitely needs a new drip pan felt pad and new rubber feet on the bottom of the machine, the case needs a little work too, but I'll have fun doing it all. Will let you know if I get that "perfect seam." Do any of you recommend the zig-zagger that goes with this? I'm tempted to get that next. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 AM

Hi Colleen -- I FMQ exclusively on my 301A because I don't have anything else to use. My 301A is not dropped down into the table so I made some portable 'tables' that slide next to the machine. Also, I use a large piece of tablecloth plastic to cover over the machine bed and cut a hole out for the needle. I drop the feed dogs and keep my tension set at about 3-4. My tension will drop to 0 if I don't watch it. Then it's just a matter of taking my time and getting my stitch length even. I have stitched up to a lap size quilt in it. Also, make sure to change the needle and dust out the machine to help with the stitch quality.

I have a large t-shirt quilt ready to quilt this weekend, but I think I'm going to tie it rather than quilt it since it's going to a college bound boy and he probably would rather have it tied.

Good luck with your machine...I love mine.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
Do any of you recommend the zig-zagger that goes with this? I'm tempted to get that next. Thanks.
If you want zig zag capability, buy a machine that does a zig zag. You'll be much happier with the results.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
Hi Colleen -- I FMQ exclusively on my 301A because I don't have anything else to use. My 301A is not dropped down into the table so I made some portable 'tables' that slide next to the machine. Also, I use a large piece of tablecloth plastic to cover over the machine bed and cut a hole out for the needle. I drop the feed dogs and keep my tension set at about 3-4. My tension will drop to 0 if I don't watch it. Then it's just a matter of taking my time and getting my stitch length even. I have stitched up to a lap size quilt in it. Also, make sure to change the needle and dust out the machine to help with the stitch quality.

I have a large t-shirt quilt ready to quilt this weekend, but I think I'm going to tie it rather than quilt it since it's going to a college bound boy and he probably would rather have it tied.

Good luck with your machine...I love mine.
What "hopping foot or fmq foot" do you use with the 301A. This is the only slant needeled machine I have, so I'm pretty sure the one I use on the 15-91 is not going to work. Thanks for all your suggestions. I did clean, oil, and lube as suggested in the manual, and the stitch is now just fine. Anxious to use it now for fmq.