Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cooked 66K electronics

Cooked 66K electronics

I picked up a decent 66K for a song the other day, owner said it didn't run. It's a knee operated motor, with a pair of capacitors clamped to the chassis below the flywheel. Motor runs like new, but one of the caps is clearly cooked, there is a heap of goo below it.
    Are these caps jut rf suppressors like in many foot controls? Can I snip them out of the circuit, or do they have other functions?

I would remove them intact if you can. They should just be attached to the wiring by screws.

RF suppression is why I have read they were there. Although I've never seen a 66 with any on it.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

My 99K had them, a bit like two small size AA batteries. When I had my machine rewired they just removed them. Apparently we don't need them today, radios and TVs aren't affected by the sewing machine like they used to be. It has nothing to do with the function of the motor or the running of the electrical parts in themseves. Maybe if you listen to a very old radio with tubes while you sew it might interfere with the signal a bit;- )

I took them out, and it runs perfectly. This is the third machine in a short period of time that I've had to do this with. Pfaff 360 (cap in pedal), Elna Supermatic (cap in machine next to motor) and now this one. These where like two AA batteries like Mickey described them, clamped to the motor bracket with the bracket bolt. This one is a knee lever model. The cap is sitting in the foot pedal in most Singer models, I think.
    Last edited by steihy; 11-03-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Are those some kind of thing people added onto a machine? I don't think I've ever seen that. Pics?
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Banned
    Miriam this was a lot more common in other countries than it was here. Have no idea why though.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Are those some kind of thing people added onto a machine? I don't think I've ever seen that. Pics?
    I screwed them back on just for you, Miriam. You can see the stuff that dripped out of the cooked capacitor below, just like splats from a candle. Easy to spot.
    The other image is the foot control for a Necchi Supernova. Same symptoms, start running on its own, no control over speed, etc. Reason not so apparent when the culprit is hidden. The cap is gone, you can barely see the stumps of the leads near the screw terminals, plus remnants of the mess from the cap.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the Supernova in the last post - that's 4 machines that needed surgery - electomies?- of the 8 I bought over the last couple of months.
    I opened up the 201K pedal, there was no cap in there, I was wrong about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miriam,

Here's the capacitor in my Elaine's 319K.

Name:  Joes camera 703.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  157.8 KB

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Miriam this was a lot more common in other countries than it was here. Have no idea why though.
    On a higher AC voltage power supply (all of Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. actually most of the world) the capacitors prevent sparking from the motor brushes and suppressed AM radio interference. They're not required: I always remove them and throw them away.
    The one time I didn't (because they seemed okay) they failed a day after I handed the machine back (it was a service). Taught me a good lesson.

I'd go with the surgeons here: If in doubt, cut it out.

Joe, is Elaine's machine still 220-240V? I'd remove that capacitor, but up to you. When it fails it'll just short circuit and the motor will go to full speed all the time
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    On a higher AC voltage power supply (all of Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. actually most of the world) the capacitors prevent sparking from the motor brushes and suppressed AM radio interference. They're not required: I always remove them and throw them away.
    The one time I didn't (because they seemed okay) they failed a day after I handed the machine back (it was a service). Taught me a good lesson.

I'd go with the surgeons here: If in doubt, cut it out.

Joe, is Elaine's machine still 220-240V? I'd remove that capacitor, but up to you. When it fails it'll just short circuit and the motor will go to full speed all the time
    Mike,
    Elaine's 319 is a US model running standard 110-120 volt current. I thought about taking it out, but it's never malfunctioned so I left it. I might regret that, but if so I'll fix it.

Joe

I haven't run across that yet.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I haven't run across that yet.
    Rodney
    Neither have I, I've just seen a lot of questions about it on other groups. Mostly I've seen it on Necchis here in the states.

Cari