Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
size question for electronics >

size question for electronics

size question for electronics

Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Default size question for electronics

hello
I want to donate a few things next month to the school for kids to beable to pick out christmas gifts for their parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, etc.

So i wanted to do a bunch of kindle/nook/tablet, ipad, and laptop covers. the problem is all the patterns have you actually measuring the device. I was wondering those of you who sell these at craft fairs what measurements do you use for all of these? Since i dont have any of these i was hoping to only have to do three different measurements that would fit most kindles/nook/tablet...ipad...and laptops. Hopefully this make sense. thanks for your all your time once again for bailing me out. YOu all are great i enjoy reading and looking at all your wonderful creative projects.

rockie
Old 11-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Tablet sizes vary. There are a couple of 7", not sure about where the iPad mini falls. The regular iPad is not as big as my Acer A500. That tablet is 10 1/2 inches. There are patterns all over the internet, Whistle Pig has a few, and you can check out the average sizes. Go look where they sell various tablets, Office Depot has a few different ones.
The Nexus 7 & 10 inches are popular, so is the ipad, not sure about the mini. Samsung has a 7 and 10" also.
The Windows Surface seems like it's bigger. Have not seen a pattern for a case for that, yet.

While the 10 1/2 might be big, you can fit an iPad in it.

The basic Nook and Kindle are small. The larger ones will fit the 7" bag.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM

You can also go to the websites of the products. They'll have the dimensions.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Thanks i was hoping to get a standard measurement that the crafters use when they make them at the craft show. like one size that will fit kindle/nook/tablet and one that will fit ipad and a laptop. hmm i suppose i could check to see what size they use when they sell them in stores. thanks again.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Why not ask the children to bring a paper cut out of the size with their name on. They must measure more than 1 so parents don't know which will be the gift.
All they need to do is draw around the shape on a piece of paper the depth in most doesn't apply.
Hope this helps

PS you are only given 1 by each child and you have the measurement plus name all done. Let teacher throw rest away.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM

well its not that easy....this is for the whole school....the hold one night in the gym with all the donated gifts and each child brings a dollar for each person they want to buy a gift for. so its all spread out on the table for the kids to choose from when they go through....they are having hard time finding teenage boy and adult male stuff so i thought i would do up some these in boy/adult fabrics. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by rockie8903 View Post
hello
I want to donate a few things next month to the school for kids to beable to pick out christmas gifts for their parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, etc.

So i wanted to do a bunch of kindle/nook/tablet, ipad, and laptop covers. the problem is all the patterns have you actually measuring the device. I was wondering those of you who sell these at craft fairs what measurements do you use for all of these? Since i dont have any of these i was hoping to only have to do three different measurements that would fit most kindles/nook/tablet...ipad...and laptops. Hopefully this make sense. thanks for your all your time once again for bailing me out. YOu all are great i enjoy reading and looking at all your wonderful creative projects.

rockie

Make this easy on yourself. Measure the size of each using a friend's nook or whatever. Some you can go to the store to measure, some you might have to borrow.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM

thanks. i think i am overthinking this whole thing. i do that often. I think i will do just that and go from there.