Damascus Attic Recovery

Old 06-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Default Damascus Attic Recovery

This was my grandmother's machine. My grandfather had it for many years before being stored in my parents attic 30+ years! I'm unable to find any identification other than the decals. Could someone point me inthe right direction?
Attached Thumbnails picsart_06-21-02.15.39.jpg   picsart_06-21-02.14.49.jpg  

Last edited by anorem; 06-21-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 AM

It's very much like the Improved Eldredge IEB, listed 8 down here

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...uttle_Machines

And the note indicates the same model was made with a stitch length control on the bed, which is what yours has.

So likely a machine manufactured by National and badged for the company selling Damascus, try here:

http://ismacs.net/sewing_machine_art...recommend.html
Old 06-21-2020, 12:09 PM

In addition to the great links Joe has there is this one Need help identifying/dating Damascus threadle sewing machine. In the thread there is a link to a manual for the Damascus. It looks like very similar decals It does have a copyright date, but even blowing up the image, I couldn't read it. Maybe 1925??

According to ISMACS needle list, the needles that one should use are 20x1. Many have dropped 15x1 a bit and have them work.

I believe the serial number is located on the bed of the machine under the front slide plate. Although, I don't think that the serial number will be of much help as National doesn't have records of serial numbers.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-21-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: change date and needle info
Old 06-21-2020, 03:16 PM

I can't help you with your request, but that is an absolutely gorgeous machine and cabinet!
Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 PM

Be careful with cleaning it up - you don't want to ruin the decals on that one. It is very nice looking. Just using cotton balls and sewing machine should clean it up nicely. How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav tells about cleaning these old machines. And for the wooden cabinet, I would recommend Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I have a Minnesota in the same time frame, also. These machines are so beautiful!
Old 06-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Welcome to the club - I have my great-great aunt's Damascus. It is also from 1925. My grandmother had 2 treadles and I took the Damascus because it worked and it had the manual. All I had to do was buy a new belt for it. I haven't found much about them but I did find that she paid $25.00 for it in 1925. Thought that was funny. And thinking that was very expensive for the time.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 AM

I am thinking it was sold by Sears. You will want to turn your bobbin winder so the pulley lines up with the belt.

Oil everything that moves. or should.