Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davis MODEL T

Davis MODEL T

I saw a Davis MODEL T at the thrift store today. Serial number 3050842, I offer $20 but they wanted more so I passed it up.
    I think it was a hand cranked at one time but a motor had been added. It was in a case but no lid to go with it. Some attachments.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    Be sure you PM this information to Jon (jlhmnj) as he is putting together a database of Davis machine serial numbers. Thanks.

Thanks, Got it. $20 is a fair price in that condition.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Thanks, Got it. $20 is a fair price in that condition.

Jon
    They wanted $50. I'll wait to see if they come down on the price. They usually do if they have no takers.
    Do you have any info on this one. I would like to know the manufacture date if you know it.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Date is roughly 1915. Uses standard 15x1 needle. NOS bobbins and shuttles very difficult to find (Davis short). Nice little 3/4 size sewing machine, I have one in a bentwood case that is motorized. Davis made high quality stuff.

Jon

I am in the UK and bought a Davis model T a couple of weeks ago from a local Charity Shop (thrift store) for £8. Very unusual over here. The serial number is 1493973 (I think), I found it on the front slide plate. I can't remember how to add pictures, but the centre bed decal is of the American Eagle and Flag. I'd like to know how old it is if anyone can help please. Also is there a manual available anywhere?

Good deal on the Davis and made around 1910. Machine takes a 15x1 needle and uses Davis short bobbins which are scarce. Here's a manual for a full size Davis.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Enjoy
    Jon

I found a Davis Model T in a bent wood case, case in good condition...machine is a dirtly little bugger with hardly any decals left on it, motorized (took off the motor, would love to add hand crank) . Serial number 3032734. Bought it for $20 at a garage sale. In the storage compartment were 3 Shuttles and 4 bobbins! As well as some needles and the attachments, a couple screwdrivers and a funky little hammer (?) Any ideas on the age of this little machine? The cord and foot pedal were gone. Seems to move very well, and sews a nice straight stitch

Barbara
    in Minnesota

I wasn't able to click the link to the manual...any special advice on accessing the information?

Here's a manual for a Sears New Minnesota A made by Davis. Very similar:

http://www.clawges.com/sewing/MN_A_manual/index.html

Roughly mid to late 1910's on age. Great find on the shuttles, as far as I know these were NOT sold by Boye in their needle and shuttle containers. Sort of surprising considering every Davis 3/4 size machine uses this shuttle. Later Davis hand cranks have an arm that goes into a groove in the hand wheel pulley. My Model T has no pulley as it can only be friction driven by motor. If it did have a pulley on the handwheel, it would have to be cut to fit the Crank arm. Here's a link to better show the later Davis Crank set up:

http://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/...sters-for.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-DAVI...item1e7fc1d854

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 09-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks Jon. Interesting. Thanks for the manual link. Funny, I was given a Minnesota A in a treadle cabinet a few weeks ago, and I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'll have to compare them. The Minnesota is in much better condition than this little one. In the last few weeks I've brought home a Singer 66 RedEye, the Minnesota A, this Davis and my sweet boyfriend found another Singer electric. I need to catch up. I'll have lots of projects this fall and winter to keep me busy!

I have just got a Davis machine, serial number 138250. I think it may be a model T. It has a vibrating shuttle like a Singer 27. Any idea of date?

Hi Sue,

Welcome. The serial number you listed would be found on a late 1870's Davis low arm vertical feed with a boat shuttle and not close in appearance to a Davis T. I'd double check the serial number on the front slide plate if you don't have the low arm. A picture of your Davis would be fun to see.

Here's a pic of a Davis T:
    http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/davis%20sewing%20machine.htm

Here's a pic of a low arm:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/109987[email protected]/9626765706/

Jon

Just for your serial number data Jon, I have a couple of Davis Model T machines. One badged “Cosmo” with s/n 3058267, and one badged “Rugby” with s/n 3036200.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Thanks CD--

I think I got the motor and linkage off one your T's. Runs like a top.

Jon

I've had another look at the machine, I think it looks like a model T but on the arm it says "Davis of London" and on the bed, "Made in England"
    So is this a totally different manufacturer?
    The serial number is very clear: 138250

After Sears pulled the contract on Davis - they tried the UK market to expand sales. Especially with the 3/4 size and hand crank machines. Ultimately did not work for them and they went under not long after that.

So it's likely it's the same Company - but could be very different as it was made in a different factory. They may have even contracted with another mfg to produce them for Davis, one never knows and sometimes the records are gone now - so we never will know for sure.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Sue,

I agree with Cathy that this machine was made by another manufacturer for "Davis of London". This is called a "badged machine". I do not believe Davis of Dayton Ohio made your sewing machine. Jones is a good possibility. There is also an S. Davis. Best to post a pic for ID. I'm not all that familiar with British Manufacturers but perhaps some one will recognize it.

Jon

I am having problems attaching a photo. That said, I've looked carefully at the machine and it is "S Davis and Co" The S has been rubbed off but can still be made out.
    I didn't think it was an American machine but would like to know how old it is.
    It has a vibrating shuttle and looks very like a Singer 27k.
    Somewhere on the web recently I saw that S Davis and co re-badged German machines but this one clearly says Made in England on both the front and back.

Maybe browse through this pictures and see if something looks like it. I find a lot by searching through Needlebar's picture library.

http://needlebar.org/cm/index.php?cat=6
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Name:  DSC00577web.gif
Views: 146
Size:  1.80 MB

After some frustration trying to make my photo small enough to attach, here it is.
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction to identify this machine.

Looks like a Jones CS (Cylinder Shuttle) made for S. Davis. My guess on the date would be circa 1910.

Jon

Yes! That looks to be it. Thank you very much.
    Is there a list of serial numbers anywhere for Jones machines?

oh my - it looks like Jones was as bad as National for putting other names on their machines - very cute machine, btw!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast