Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help ID Machine Model.  Davis?  R H Macy >

Help ID Machine Model. Davis? R H Macy

Help ID Machine Model. Davis? R H Macy

Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Post Help ID Machine Model. Davis? R H Macy

Can anyone help me identify the model of this hand crank machine? It is marked R H Macy. I think it is a Davis 3/4 size but would like to ID the model and the date of manufacture. The domed case was in a dovetailed cedar box. Were machines originally sold that way or did someone just fit it into a box?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506676[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506677[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 AM

I think someone fit it into the box or built the box to house the machine. The owner must have felt some need to provide the machine with extra protection and looking at your machine's condition it payed off. I can see a simple packing crate from the manufacturer but dovetails were reserved for permanent containers and drawers. No one would have used them for a packing crate. I've seen that style of bentwood case with the carvings before but I don't remember the manufacturer that used them.
Very pretty machine, it looks brand new and the box is a nice bonus.
Rodney
Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Thanks Rodney, I love that the sewing machine in your picture has your name.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:54 AM

Beautiful machine and beautiful carvings on the case!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM

I would say, yes it's a Davis made machine. But that's all I know. Other than it's gorgeous.

Forum member jlhmnj is our resident Davis person. He'll probably see your thread soon. Or you can PM him.

Joe
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Patrick,

Greeting from South Jersey and Welcome. Yes, it is a beautiful 3/4 size Davis Model N. Uses Davis Long needles or 1x2 which are close to 2" long. Could have been made anytime from 00's to 20's. Bobbins and shuttles are tough to find which are also 3/4 size. Davis made many "badged machines" for department and hardware stores and magazines for promotions. Sears, Macy's, and Butler Bros. were big accounts for Davis. Ismacs has some good reading material on Davis if you wanted to learn there history.

I have never seen a box like this with Davis portable sewing machine and can't say if it originally accompanied the machine. Awful nice shipping container if it did.

Jon
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Jon, I have a Davis HC from Macy's to but I need the bobbin winder and it is just like the one on this machine. Got any ideas on where to find one? Mine is a little stand alone on it't own legs.
Skip
Old 01-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone.

Jon, thanks I couldn't visually determine if it was a C, D, K or N. Those 4 models all look the same to me, they all seem to have the same Vindex type upper tension, the same thread take up and stitch length mechanisms.

I understand that you can also use MTX190 needles. Does anyone know if it better to buy the MTX190 needles or try to find the older ones? I need to replace the bobin tire, is it a standard size?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Glen, I'd love to see a picture.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Jon, I have a Davis HC from Macy's to but I need the bobbin winder and it is just like the one on this machine. Got any ideas on where to find one? Mine is a little stand alone on it't own legs.
Skip
Glenn,

Davis made a few styles of bobbin winder but the notable feature on Macy's is the screw adjustment to control travel of winder. Tough find, but might turn up on ebay or someone might have a parts machine on the Board.

Jon