Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help ID Machine Model.  Davis?  R H Macy >

Help ID Machine Model. Davis? R H Macy

Help ID Machine Model. Davis? R H Macy

Old 01-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Here is one with similar designs on a similar wooden case. Different machine - nice decals and a shuttle but it seems unusual that there is no "name" on either side of the machine inside of the "banner" type of decal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151546944492...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-18-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Glenn,

Davis made a few styles of bobbin winder but the notable feature on Macy's is the screw adjustment to control travel of winder. Tough find, but might turn up on ebay or someone might have a parts machine on the Board.

Jon
Thanks Jon I will look around and I will post a pic as soon as it gets warmer I will go to the shop and shoot a pic of it.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickTweed View Post
Thanks everyone.

Jon, thanks I couldn't visually determine if it was a C, D, K or N. Those 4 models all look the same to me, they all seem to have the same Vindex type upper tension, the same thread take up and stitch length mechanisms.

I understand that you can also use MTX190 needles. Does anyone know if it better to buy the MTX190 needles or try to find the older ones? I need to replace the bobin tire, is it a standard size?
190 needles are fine but are round shank rather than flat like original and must be aligned, scarf to right. The "original" is the preferred needle for me but the 190 is generally less money and more variety of sizes and styles are available. I just seem to enjoy my limited sewing more using an original needle rather than a brand spanking new Organ replacement. Just a personal thing.

Jon
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM

Glenn,

Davis made a few styles of bobbin winder but the notable feature on Macy's is the screw adjustment to control travel of winder. Tough find, but might turn up on ebay or someone might have a parts machine on the Board.

Jon
Should also mention to get one off a 3/4 sized machine as they use shorter bobbins than the full sized

Jon
Old 01-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks, that is so funny mine even came with the exact same attachments. Pat
Old 01-18-2015, 02:52 PM

Should also mention to get one off a 3/4 sized machine as they use shorter bobbins than the full sized

Jon
I am lucky I have the shuttle and a couple of bobbins on this one.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM

I have 4 of the old needles which appear to be new and the one I've tried seems to sew nicely. In the future, if need be, can they be sharpened?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone.

Jon, thanks I couldn't visually determine if it was a C, D, K or N. Those 4 models all look the same to me, they all seem to have the same Vindex type upper tension, the same thread take up and stitch length mechanisms.

I understand that you can also use MTX190 needles. Does anyone know if it better to buy the MTX190 needles or try to find the older ones? I need to replace the bobin tire, is it a standard size?
Patrick,
I use both the original Davis Longs and the MTx190 needles in my Davis made Minnesota Mdl B. The MTx190s work just fine and as Jon says can be had easier than the originals and in more sizes.
But I also snag any of the originals I can. The machine tells me it likes them better ...

Joe
Old 01-18-2015, 06:40 PM

I have 4 of the old needles which appear to be new and the one I've tried seems to sew nicely. In the future, if need be, can they be sharpened?

Some of the older machines included a round, small sharpening stone with the attachments such as the Wheeler and Wilson from 1800's. I believe it works off an extension of the bobbin winder. Worth a shot as only a dull needle is at stake.

Jon
Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Here is one with similar designs on a similar wooden case. Different machine - nice decals and a shuttle but it seems unusual that there is no "name" on either side of the machine inside of the "banner" type of decal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151546944492...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Beautiful machine. Looks like Davis and National shared the same cabinet maker on this one. Occasionally badged machines turn up that never seem to have been stenciled, just left blank. Or they might have just "fell" off.

Jon