Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
DH had added two more machines to his collection >

DH had added two more machines to his collection

DH had added two more machines to his collection

Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 AM

Default DH had added two more machines to his collection

DH got a letter earlier this week - a lady in the near by town was moving and looking to rehome five old sewing machines. She'd gotten his address from the local quilt shop as someone who might be interested.

So last night he called and we went to see what she had. She was selling and planning on living in a large RV and traveling for a few years. She was having a "sale" and also had a whole lot of quilt fabric at 3 yards for $10 . . .

She had already sold one, and had two Singer 15 clones (very nice, but not interested) and a very nice 301A (already have enough of them) and a pretty Kohler hand crank. We got to talking, and DH was eyeballing the machines and talking about them - while I was looking over the fabric. She finally asked if we were interested in any of them, and I said that the only one I was tempted on was the Kohler, and DH said -"Good, because I'd really like to have that one".

And while I was trying to limit myself on the fabric selections - she told us that she had sold the 5th one to a friend who fixed them up and sent them to a charity in Mexico that provided them to poor women. She said it was a Bernina in a red case . . . DH and I both looked up - and she said she sold it for $15.

OK - so we both had a bit of heart failure - and we talked more about how DH really wanted one of those, and she said her friend would probably sell it as she didn't personally want it - it was just cheap.

DH called that friend, and they got to talking (while I was still pulling fabric) and set up to go visit her after we loaded up from the first place.

DH got the Kohler, and I got 30 yards of fabric plus some kits and patterns.

So we went across town and talked to the other lady and her husband. The end result, DH traded her labor to get her really cute older 99 serviced for the Bernina. DH also plans on getting a few other of our machines fixed up to send with her on the next trip to Mexico.

Machine has case and foot pedal and one bobbin and foot - it does run but needs a lot of adjusting. DH has done one of these before.

And I had just brought home a FW card table with me. A coworker (wife has an antique mall) had picked up the table and a really sad little FW for $50, and was trading the table for servicing on the FW.

Now I've got to get the work bench cleaned off so DH can get to using it for working on these machines!

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-12-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Your so lucky to share your passions of older sewing machines with each other. I would donate my old Singer from the 80's to this lady's charity going to Mexico if we only lived closer. Enjoy your Bernina. I am not sure when my Bernina 1530 is consider an antique!!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:41 AM

Oh, he got a beauty!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 AM

OOoooooh! I love that Kohler! It's so clean too. I never see them in that condition.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 AM

That Kohler is awesome! Very vivid colors and it looks brand new. Nice deal on the Bernina and the fabric too. I'm still kicking myself for letting one go for $16 at our local Goodwill. I just didn't know enough to know what a great deal it was at the time.
Rodney
Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 AM

It needed that much servicing, you did the charity a good thing too by catching it instead of sending it on. They want machines with parts that are easy to get.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Tell your husband the Kohler is one beautiful machine. I love it.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Kohler is stunning. Good trip.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM

Neat! I don't think I've ever seen a Kholer - it looks really nice. I like the red on the decals. It looks a little petite - is that a 3/4 size machine?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Banned

I'd bet that Kohler will sew spectacularly well!

Side note: I found the issue with the Domestic. The main needlebar drive bearing was damaged and would not move through the cam properly. I trued it up and it now move smooth as glass. I will be trying the machine and the looper tonight!