Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Did I spend too much? New featherweight >

Did I spend too much? New featherweight

Did I spend too much? New featherweight

Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Well, tranum, the irony is that now the white ones sell for several hundred dollars more than the black ones!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:38 AM

Just now saw your post. Not to worry. You did okay on the buying price and chances are she'll run beautifully for you. You've also found the best place to purchase things for her. Check out their tutorials on how to care for her. You do need to clean it up and oil/grease and lube her with the right stuff. I've taught tons of people how to care for them but I'd caution anyone about taking your FW to just anyone. I taught a sewing machine repair guy about the FWs and he told me his training didn't teach him squat about taking care of the motors and that's very important. You have to use the right stuff or it doesn't lubricate the motors at all. I've fixed a lot of machines for people where a sewing machine repair guy messed them up or said they were worthless and wanted to sell the person a new machine. Just be smart. Your machine's value keeps climbing. Just saw a bunch of them for sale over $1000 each and they sold out in a day.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Whew!!! Well it's been a long wait but I finally have her (Maggie after my grandmother) going!
New cord, replaced shuttle housing (little finger was broke), and finally had to order expensive OEM bobbin case after two failed reproductions
So I definitely have more invested in her than I had hoped for, but I sure do love her! I guess that's the most important thing.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
Well, tranum, the irony is that now the white ones sell for several hundred dollars more than the black ones!
I researched & found white is more valuable but I had my heart set on black ! (keeping it )
Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 PM

I have 2...I paid about $300 for the first one and $500 for the second. The first I bought at shop goodwill.com. But the second I bought at an estate sale. The owner had passed away quite young and her mother was selling her sewing machines. It was immaculate and had lots of attachments and the bobbin case. I just didn't have the heart to dicker with her. Her daughter had loved this machine and she had loved her daughter. I assured her that I would love it, too. The prices are all over the place for Featherweights. I saw one (just a regular one) listed as Rare for $900. When I looked up its serial number and birthdate it wasn't rare at all. I think you made a great buy. Have fun.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

So glad you got her up and running. I adore my FW's!!!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 AM

I think I paid $200 for mine. It was in an estate sale. The machine had been "built into the wall". There was a room with knotty pine walls and they had built a tiny drop-down door into the wall with the machine bolted to the door. I hope I have described that correctly. Anyway, there was no case and we asked the people handling the sale if they had the case. I asked if they found it, perhaps in the attic, to call me. I never got a call so I am assuming it was discarded ... probably many years ago. Enjoy yours!