Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs >

Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs

Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Janis,
Thanks for the tip. Now I can see all the pics.

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Question...How does that last one, the one to turn a regular foot into a hopping foot work? I've been trying, and can't seem to wrap my mind around it!

Second question... I WANT one, how hard are they to find?
Charlee,
My take on it is that you attach one end to the presser foot, the other to the needle clamp and then loosen the presser foot tension. When you use it the needle bar raises and lowers the presser foot so you can move the material every which way.

Joe
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Charlee, I missed your second question. I have the original instruction sheet that came with it. I'll post the name this afternoon after I get back in town.

Cathy

Question...How does that last one, the one to turn a regular foot into a hopping foot work? I've been trying, and can't seem to wrap my mind around it!

Second question... I WANT one, how hard are they to find?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Ok...but wouldn't that be hard on the mechanics of the machine? If the presser bar is in the "down" position, wouldn't "lifting" on it via a spring on the needlebar be forcing it to do something it's not intended to do?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Joe,

You get it! Don't loosen the presser foot tension too much as you still need the presser foot to push down.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Charlee,
My take on it is that you attach one end to the presser foot, the other to the needle clamp and then loosen the presser foot tension. When you use it the needle bar raises and lowers the presser foot so you can move the material every which way.

Joe
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Charlee,

No different that any other darning/ hopping foot. They all lift the presserbar with each needle stroke.

Cathy

Ok...but wouldn't that be hard on the mechanics of the machine? If the presser bar is in the "down" position, wouldn't "lifting" on it via a spring on the needlebar be forcing it to do something it's not intended to do?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM

The more modern ones lift the foot, but not the bar..right?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Joe,

You get it! Don't loosen the presser foot tension too much as you still need the presser foot to push down.

Cathy

Joe
Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Charlee,

The hopping feet are attached to the presser bar. When the foot is lifted so is the bar. The bar-foot combo is only lifted a small amount when using the darning/ hopping foot. This lifting compresses the spring less than when the foot is completely raised using the presser bar lift lever. The machine is not suffering.

Cathy

The more modern ones lift the foot, but not the bar..right?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM

Fascinating discussion....this is GREAT information!! I have never used a hopping foot on my table top machine...only on my Baby Lock on a frame, and I didn't even notice how it moves while I'm quilting. DUH!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Charlee,

The hopping feet are attached to the presser bar. When the foot is lifted so is the bar. The bar-foot combo is only lifted a small amount when using the darning/ hopping foot. This lifting compresses the spring less than when the foot is completely raised using the presser bar lift lever. The machine is not suffering.

Cathy
Because I trust you, I'm not even going to watch the next time I use one! (Yes I will, but I won't tell you about it...k? ) For some reason, I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around it....not how it works, but how it doesn't hurt the machine or cause extra wear on it...but again...I trust you so it's a moot point!