Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs >

Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs

Different Types of Darning Feet/Springs

Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Muv

Joe,

I don't sell stuff. Try www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk for feet and attachments.

3/6 (or 3s 6d) is 3 shillings and sixpence, old money, replaced by the decimal system in 1971. There were 12 pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. So in new money 3/6 is 17 and a half pence. I'll let you convert it and allow for inflation.

Stoppaxes are very hard to come by if you want one. Helen Howes has one for £25 because it is so rare. I found one in the odds and ends with a sewing machine I bought a couple of years ago and searched the internet and found the instructions. I haven't tried it out yet - I've only just started FMQ and have used a hopping foot, like the one at the bottom left in the second picture.

A video on FMQ is on the list of things to do, but I will have to improve first!

Last edited by Muv; 03-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM

I just found an old ad in Work Basket magazine from April 1949 for a darning spring. Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]322340[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails magic2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Joe,

I don't sell stuff. Try www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk for feet and attachments.

3/6 (or 3s 6d) is 3 shillings and sixpence, old money, replaced by the decimal system in 1971. There were 12 pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. So in new money 3/6 is 17 and a half pence. I'll let you convert it and allow for inflation.

Stoppaxes are very hard to come by if you want one. Helen Howes has one for £25 because it is so rare. I found one in the odds and ends with a sewing machine I bought a couple of years ago and searched the internet and found the instructions. I haven't tried it out yet - I've only just started FMQ and have used a hopping foot, like the one at the bottom left in the second picture.

A video on FMQ is on the list of things to do, but I will have to improve first!
I wrote to helenhowes a while back to see if I could order something, but she just takes paypal, which I don't have, so I'm out of luck in getting things that she is selling.
Janis
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Joe,

Muv,
I never really thought you did. I read the instruction sheet, saw the address and price and knew it was from England. You're in England and in an "attempt" at levity I simply asked that question.

I was in my senior year of high school in 1970 when the currency change over was big news in the UK. It even hit all the major news media over here. I never fully understood the old British monetary system, and now that they're no longer in use have forgotten what I did know. But thanks for the conversion lesson.

I'll check out the link you posted too.

Joe
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 AM

Janis,

I just saw this just above the pictures on her home page:

"I now take credit/debit card payments - please see the Ordering page for details."

Looks like we might be able to get some of the things now.

Joe
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328968[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]328969[/ATTACH]
Adding instructions for the one spring to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails img_4270.jpg   img_4271.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328968[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]328969[/ATTACH]
Adding instructions for the one spring to this thread.
I have those same instructions. When ever I look at them I wonder if anybody REALLY tried to do all that with one of those springs. I can see it working on buttons maybe but it might be as quick to to it by hand.