Do I want a W&W 9?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Do I want a W&W 9?

I wave seen a few..heard them mentioned but haven't really followed the conversations. Are they nice machines? Is there a reason you like yours if you have one?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Christy,

I have two Singer 9W-7s which is the later version made after Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson. They are fine machines. Very smooth, very reliable, very simple machines.

There are only two things that 'might' cause trouble. Needles, and bobbins. They use the obsolete 127x1 needle and the curved sided bobbins often referred to as doughnut bobbins. The needles are very scarce although they do appear on eBay occasionally. The bobbins are, I have read, even harder to come by.
There is a substitute needle for the machines, but the biggest they can be had in is Size 14. I don't find this works well for me.

If you can get past this, go for it.

Joe
Old 08-09-2014, 08:01 PM

I have the W&W D9 and I'm scared to use it. I have a single bobbin and 3 needles for it. IF I can find a few more needles I'll give it a try. Most of the ones I've seen are black and the decals are pretty much gone as in my case or they've been turned into tractors. They look like a simple to use machine but I just have this fear I'll break the really hard to find needles. I got lucky yesterday and there were 2 needles in a tube I bought otherwise I would only have the single needle.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM

If inexpensive needles and bobbins are a high priority I'd stick with Singer 27,66, 99, 15-91, 201, etc. The needles Joe mentioned that are not to be had above size 14 are MY1014 available new online. If something above size 14 is needed you need to invest in "Boye 18" needles, new old stock for W&W. The black numbered tube usually has 3 needles, size 14, 16, and 18. The red numbered tubes have size 11, 14, 16.

W&W bobbins are pretty distinctive having a bagel shape. D9 bobbins have the hole on each size and the older style #9 have no hole and look similar to the D9.

The "Boye 18" tubes of 3 needles usually sell for around $10. D9 bagel bobbins $10-$20 and the #9 a little scarcer but the same price range.

Sometimes machines can be found with a good supply of needles and bobbins. Occasionally sewers with these supplies will donate if not needed. Sort of wishful thinking but you never know.

Jon
Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Thanks for that information. I would prefer to use standard easy-to-find needles. I think I will pass on this one. I already have enough craziness going on here with high shank and slant shank and low shank feet!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 AM

They didn't mention the attachments have a very unique attachment type. Sort of back mount . . . and the later #9 takes a different style than the #8 so it really is very specific to that machine.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 AM

I foolishly gave mine up years ago for "modern". What a mistake that was and I still mourn the loss of the best treadle ever. Needles were a pain, but back in the late 50's, you could still go to the "Dime" Store and they had a large round tin box with a sliding cover that moved in a circle to different sections below and when you got to the one marked for your needle, you opened the little door and plucked out your prize needles, in wooden tubes. What was I thinking giving that machine up.???
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM

I just donated my treadle base, too many projects, too little time and space.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
They didn't mention the attachments have a very unique attachment type. Sort of back mount . . . and the later #9 takes a different style than the #8 so it really is very specific to that machine.
Yep. One more good reason for me to pass on this one. Thank you for the information. I had no idea!