Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you swap cases, boxes, bentwoods? >

Do you swap cases, boxes, bentwoods?

Do you swap cases, boxes, bentwoods?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Which do you think better, the bentwood cases or the covered boxes?
As to this question - I think a lot has to do if this is a collectable item or a usable item. Bentwood cases are beautiful and both more durable and more fragile at the same time.

For a machine I'm going to move around and use, I prefer to make a wooden base for it, and a sturdy cloth cover. With these heavy machines, I'm not comfortable using the handle on ones that the top and base separate. I'm fine with they are a case that the machine base fits into (like the 301) because you're not putting any stress on hinges holding the top and bottom together.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:50 AM

I keep mine in cases til ready to use,oftentimes swapping one according to my mood and store them under my sofa table out of harms way of feet running around. Would love to build me a shelving unit to store them open for display.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been thinking a lot about that...
Been thinking about doing it? Or been pondering how you feel about it?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
As to this question - I think a lot has to do if this is a collectable item or a usable item. Bentwood cases are beautiful and both more durable and more fragile at the same time.
I agree with this and I haven't decided which I feel is better either. I DO notice though that the machines that have come to me in cases and more so the bentwood cases seem to be in the best condition.

Some of my personal use machines are in tables and those are the handiest to go to and sew, but the ones in cases are the easiest to keep on shelves or under tables and have them protected.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
...So Steve, having wrote what you did, does that mean you'd have no interest in the treadle cabinet my Singer 12 came in - unless the machine came with it?
In truth, I would because it is an "upgrade" that is time appropriate (in my mind anyway) I am actually looking for a Singer 12 Portable case top and bottom (I have the handcrank) for mine, but the Folding top would be awesome as a "home" for the machine when not set up portable.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM

"Do you swap cases, boxes, bentwoods?"

Generally, no.

If a machine comes in a case that machine tends to stay in that case. Unless the machine and case are a miss match like the 15 clone I got sometime ago that came in a Kenmore case bottom.
If the case the machine came in is damaged, I repair and recover it, then put the machine back in it. I've done several of those.

If I get a machine without a case or a cabinet I study it to see what it's personality might be. Then I'll put it in a case or cabinet that's appropriate to the machine. I recently did this with a Singer 328 I got from Florida. It came without a case but the 328 has 4 rubber feet so it's useable without one.
However a couple years ago I picked up a blond Singer cabinet with storage drawers at a thrift store when visiting Miriam in Indy. The 328 and the blond cabinet go together perfectly.

As for carrying machines with the handles, I've yet to have one fail or fall apart. But, as a rule I pick them up from the bottom and carry them with both hands. It's better on my back and shoulder as well as the latches and joints of the case.

Joe
[h=1][/h]