Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Does anyone have a Singer 101? >

Does anyone have a Singer 101?

Does anyone have a Singer 101?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 AM

Default Does anyone have a Singer 101?

I have a chance to go look at a Singer 101 and I'd like to know what to be watching out for. I know it has a knee controller, made in 1923 and I was told that it works. I just can't find out much about it ... no manual , etc. Do they take a regular needle?, bobbin? I assume they don't do reverse. Do the feed dogs drop? So, do any of you have one of these? I assume they are domestic and not industrial. Do they have some features you especially like? don't like? Inquiring minds want to know. ... and thanks.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 AM

ISMACS has a lot of information on the 101 here:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...s-100-199.html

Hope this helps,

Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks Joe. The ismacs site says, 'automatic lubrication'. What does that mean? And is there something special about a potted motor?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Not sure about the "automatic lubrication" part. The potted motor is nice because it is mounted directly to the head and drives the hand wheel directly through gears. No belts, no slipping.
The only problem with the potted motors is if they need rewired it's a bit more difficult. I've never done one so I have no idea of what's entailed.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM

I have a 101-4 in a model 40 cabinet allotted in 1931. Sweet sewing machine. Perfect stitches, no reverse, feed dogs do not drop and they take the class 66 bobbins metal bobbins and standard 15X1 needles. I had to have mine re-wired by the OSMG because the wiring was bad and they had been cut to remove the machine from the cabinet at one time. A manual is a must because it gives very detailed instructions on lubricating the motor and bevel gears under the machine. The manual is available for purchase online, That is where I obtained mine. I just purchased an generic feed dog cover for mine and put it on yesterday but have not tested it yet. It would be a plus if the one you are looking at has attachments.

I have a thread on this board regarding my 101-4 that I posted in early May.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks Caroline. Could you direct me to your thread? I'm considering buying this 101 and I can use all the info I can find.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks Caroline. Could you direct me to your thread? I'm considering buying this 101 and I can use all the info I can find.
Here you go Nanna
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t188341.html
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM

Oh Caroline.... thanks for the info on your thread. Now I'm getting excited to go see this machine. It looks pretty good in the picture I was sent by the seller....pretty much an older sister to the one you have. I will have to get the instruction manual and check out everything. It will probably need a good oil bath and who knows what else. But it sounds like the 101 isn't that common.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Hi Nanna, the 101 was Singer's then top-of-the-line machine, and their first with a direct-drive, or "potted" motor. That means it has no belt; the motor drives the shaft directly via gear.

However, I would almost always pass on a 101, even if one were offered to me for free. Here's why: The model 101 is from the 1920s. That's nearly 100 years ago, and the chances of the wiring being intact are virtually nil. Which means the machine will need to be rewired.

Even if by some miracle the machine had been stored for 90 years in a perfectly climate-controlled environment, and the wiring was perfect, I'd still need to disassemble the machine and open up the motor to look at the wiring and figure out that it was okay. And that's a lot of work.

If your priority is historical restoration and renovation, the 101 might make a good addition to your collection, for the sake of being comprehensive. If your priority is to sew, you might want to think twice (unless you're willing to disassemble, inspect and re-wire, or pay someone to do the same).
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Good advice from Rain. I did have to have my 101 re-wired. But my OSMG serviced and re-wired it for $65. I did not mind the cost involved because I did not have the confidence to re-wire myself.