Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Domestic series 153 $67, worth it? >

Domestic series 153 $67, worth it?

Domestic series 153 $67, worth it?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 PM

Good decision. Sounds like it could potentially cost twice what you paid for it after parts and labor. Another good one will come along. What a blessing that you could return it.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 PM

I like a good deal, but that one might have turned into a regret quickly... I'm patient, so can wait, and hopefully be in a position to jump on a future gem.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Without foot controller or cords... a very expensive little clone, indeed. I think it was smart to return it.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:14 AM

If you could find the correct plug for it, cords and pedal are easy to replace and not too expensive. If you have time and patience for it these parts eventually turn up. $67 is about the average for a complete machine around here, but they usually need to be cleaned and sorted out, replacement belts or pulleys etc. A buttonholer is easily $20 and with p&p it's on the bargain side, much the same for a box of accessories. DIY these repairs are well worth it. It's more costly to hand it in for full a service and rewiring, but if you like these old straight stitchers and use them, you have a machine for life, for one of your grand children too. It depends upon how you look at it, sometimes these machines turn up for £30, or even given away. I payed about $70 for a Singer 201 in a small table, it needed a few replacement parts, but I have never regretted the time and money I spent on it. It has turned out to be my favorite machine. It's when we take on the fourth and fifth machine we get picky and don't want to pay much at all ;- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-11-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
If you could find the correct plug for it, cords and pedal are easy to replace and not too expensive. If you have time and patience for it these parts eventually turn up. $67 is about the average for a complete machine around here, but they usually need to be cleaned and sorted out, replacement belts or pulleys etc. A buttonholer is easily $20 and with p&p it's on the bargain side, much the same for a box of accessories. DIY these repairs are well worth it. It's more costly to hand it in for full a service and rewiring, but if you like these old straight stitchers and use them, you have a machine for life, for one of your grand children too. It depends upon how you look at it, sometimes these machines turn up for £30, or even given away. I payed about $70 for a Singer 201 in a small table, it needed a few replacement parts, but I have never regretted the time and money I spent on it. It has turned out to be my favorite machine. It's when we take on the fourth and fifth machine we get picky and don't want to pay much at all ;- )
I wish for a like button
Old 03-12-2017, 07:32 AM

I have a beautiful Wards streamliner that need a controller with Chicago plugs. I thought surely I would run across one. A year later, it hasn't happened yet. But she waits patiently and my tools are busy on others... Ahh, the thrill of the hunt.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
Ah.... There was the rub

I guess next time I'll remember to look for *everything*!
HA!! I learned that with my second machine! It was a craigslist purchase, I asked if the singer 301a was working, she said, "last time I used it". We met in a parking lot (2 cautious old ladies) so no plug in. When I got home, all I had to do was push on the button of the foot control to know it wasn't working. I felt like a fool! Did I waste my $25? Thanks to the incredible knowledge base accessible from Google, I found that the foot control had been reassembled backwards! How could they DO that?! It works great now!

I also found that I can get as many machines as I want for less than $25, especially with shopgoodwill local pickup only. Haven't found the singer 201, 1200 or bernina yet at that price, but I have enough with the 14 I have accumulated 😨 ... so far.