Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;) >

Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;)

Dropped my featherweight tonight but I got lucky. Show me your bags! ;)

Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the link! The light bulb is basically being used as a source of heat then. It's simple enough to rig and I already have what I need here. I might go ahead and give it a try.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 AM

I think you're right. He's just trying to broil the organic growth. Let us know how you make out?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Yes, that totally makes sense. You could take the bobbin case with you if you have to leave it somewhere.
I would have taken my bobbin case out but long story short, I didn't actually even SEE my luggage once we arrived because it was all handled by bellhops and valet service, which I'm totally not used to - I wanted to leave everything in the trunk of the car but the hotel wanted it all brought in so they just fetched it on their own and promised it'd be OK. This was a work thing so things weren't in my control...I'm not used to staying in fancy downtown hotels with bellhops and valet service!

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The other thing I'd like to mention is that these machines - even in their boxes - are small enough to just take the whole thing. If they want it, they'll take it.
That's definitely true, but I feel like people are more likely to take things that they can slip into their pockets, especially in a work setting where coworkers might see and question them carrying something larger. I figure the more difficult I can make it, the better!

I was at PIQF last weekend and one of the vendors had a FW in their booth. It was sitting alone off to the side of her setup kind of in a corner, completely unattended, with the bed lifted up and the bobbin case in clear view. I would never be that trusting!! I'm such a worrier, I worried about that stranger's FW all afternoon, lol. I hope she didn't get any bits stolen!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM

I never even thought of a sewing machine being stolen as a possibility. In my case it has been bikes. Now I ride around on an old bike I fixed up, it just can't look too new and attractive in my neighbourhood. Might have to get an old beat up Featherweight, cleaned, oiled, and fine tuned, but just not the shiniest japanning and finest gilding.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I would have taken my bobbin case out but long story short, I didn't actually even SEE my luggage once we arrived because it was all handled by bellhops and valet service, which I'm totally not used to - I wanted to leave everything in the trunk of the car but the hotel wanted it all brought in so they just fetched it on their own and promised it'd be OK. This was a work thing so things weren't in my control...I'm not used to staying in fancy downtown hotels with bellhops and valet service!

That's definitely true, but I feel like people are more likely to take things that they can slip into their pockets, especially in a work setting where coworkers might see and question them carrying something larger. I figure the more difficult I can make it, the better!

I was at PIQF last weekend and one of the vendors had a FW in their booth. It was sitting alone off to the side of her setup kind of in a corner, completely unattended, with the bed lifted up and the bobbin case in clear view. I would never be that trusting!! I'm such a worrier, I worried about that stranger's FW all afternoon, lol. I hope she didn't get any bits stolen!
Yeah, I could see how that would be nerve wracking. The last time I traveled for work, I didn't take a machine with me because I was flying and it seemed like it would be a hassle with the hotel and cab and stuff. My laptop and luggage was bad enough. My laptop traveled everywhere I went though - and I have the Chiropractor bills to prove it! I definitely agree about theft deterrent. I usually try to make sure mine is harder to steal than the next one. I think I learned that in I.T.

I know I've been to antique shows and taken the bobbin case out and handed it to the vendor and said keep this in your pocket until the machine sells. I've also been to shows where people have told me that the bobbin case was stolen already. I hear the same about large classes. I just can't figure out what possesses people but I don't encourage it by making sure when people take a class with me that I put that info out there right at the beginning.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I never even thought of a sewing machine being stolen as a possibility. In my case it has been bikes. Now I ride around on an old bike I fixed up, it just can't look too new and attractive in my neighbourhood. Might have to get an old beat up Featherweight, cleaned, oiled, and fine tuned, but just not the shiniest japanning and finest gilding.
Only the collectible and small enough to carry easily machines. Featherweights of course fit neatly into that category. The thing that gets me is that most of the time, a person would have to know what it was and why it was valuable which indicates someone who sews or is otherwise around the machines. Even a "Rode hard, put away wet" featherweight seems to hold a surprising amount of value. (Keep in mind too, people look for rough ones to paint and free is a great buy in.) I have a parts featherweight that cost me $80 and will pay for itself a couple times over by the time it's down to spare bolts.

Bikes - as in Motorcycles and Bicycles both - have always been a large theft risk. Theft is almost half my insurance policy premium on my motorcycles here.