Duct tape removal

Old 01-15-2020, 03:00 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
leonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: near Topeka kansas
Posts: 4,055
Default Duct tape removal

When I got the 29 Patcher, there was duct tape across many places including over the main Singer decal. a Lot of oil and a lot of scraping with my thumbnails showed this. I got the head mostly free now , but still need to free the presserfoot/neeldbar assembly.
Attached Thumbnails 29-patcher-cleaner-minus-walking-foot-b.jpg  

Last edited by leonf; 01-15-2020 at 03:07 PM.
leonf is offline  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:31 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
OurWorkbench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,477
Default

Fantastic!


For the needle bar on my Weed, I wrapped it with paper towel and some plastic (can't remember if baggy or shrink wrap or cling wrap) after putting kerosene on the paper towel and tied it up. I think I added kerosene for a day or two and finally got it to loosen up.


Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
OurWorkbench is online now  
Old 01-16-2020, 05:24 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yorkville, IL
Posts: 7,483
Default

Beautiful machine, Leon. Your patience is paying off!
luvstoquilt is online now  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:20 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
leonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: near Topeka kansas
Posts: 4,055
Default

The previous owner gave me a holler. The stand for it is now available at I price I don't mind paying. And the stands are way cool. This will go back to being a treadle.
leonf is offline  
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
OurWorkbench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,477
Default

Great!!

How is the needle bar coming?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
OurWorkbench is online now  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:31 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
leonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: near Topeka kansas
Posts: 4,055
Default

I need to shoot some pics. the needlebar/presserfoot assembly is about the size of a hand grenade. The presserfoot should rotate around the needle. I took the lower rotation track off yesterday and found that the piece with the dog ears for the operator to turn is broken into two pieces. rotation is still stuck. It is a huge challenge Such fun. And there is a rack and pinion system to drive the oscillating bobbin case, pretty cool for 1907. Wish I were in Denver.

leonf is offline  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
juliasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 5,180
Default

This sounds like a wonderful find! As far as the duct tape residue. When all else has failed I went to Goo Be Gone to get it off and that worked fine. You may want to try that.
juliasb is offline  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 PM
  #8  
Member
 
joolstacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Greendale Vic. Australia
Posts: 30
Default

Getting adhesive like duct tape is usually made a lot easier with application of heat. These adhesives get very hard over years so softening them really helps. A hot air gun is ideal, but even a hair dryer can be good, used in conjunction with solvents, (test to see) most things will come off.
joolstacho is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.