Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
An early Davis VF and a Singer 15-1 >

An early Davis VF and a Singer 15-1

An early Davis VF and a Singer 15-1

Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Default An early Davis VF and a Singer 15-1

Hi all, I've been a bit quiet as I've been busy renovating two houses (no, I'm not finished) but saw a very interesting auction come up online for two machines. "Museum pieces" as they were called by the seller... I did have a bit of a snort at that choice of phrase but decided to have a closer look and I'm glad I did! Both were completely without decals and the 'non Singer' was unidentified and described by the seller as having "primitive" workings (LOL).

I went on to ID this 2nd machine as a Davis VF and I was super excited! There don't seem to be that many USA manufactured machines in Australia and I've haven't seen a Davis machine in the couple of years I've been collecting. The only other unusual one I've seen is an Eldredge model B and every now and then there's a White treadle.

So I told Mike about what I'd found and he was the one that noticed that the Singer was actually a 15-1! Naturally, we decided to band together to secure the prize and each take one machine each. Success! Minimal amount paid but a couple of issues with both machines, apart from lack of bases/tables. The 15-1 has a broken piece off the rear inspection plate which is a real shame but won't affect function. The DVF is missing its shuttle. I must be really rusty because I didn't notice and I also recently bought a completely unusable Necchi BU and a Pfaff treadle table because I wasn't paying attention. Sigh. Anyway, buoyed by Mike's optimism, I am sending out vibes into the universe that I WILL get my shuttle and WILL get this fascinating machine working.

Here are the pics (haven't got it yet - pics from the auction)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483002[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]483003[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483004[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]483005[/ATTACH]

Really interested to know if anyone here has exactly the same model as this. I'd love to see detailed pics of the shuttle and maybe some measurements to aid my search. Would also love to see a pic of a case or table that it would have originally come with; I've seen some fantastic pics and videos of the attachments for these so will have to keep an eye out for those too. How common are these in the States? Easy to come by? Easy to find parts and accessories?

Also, the butterfly nut to hold the attachments on seems to be at the back on this machine. Is there a reason for this or has someone put it in the wrong spot?

Look forward to sharing more pics once I get her home. Mike and I are going to 'Lunch and Muv' on Wednesday so should be able to take some great pics then. I'll let him share pics and info on the 15-1
Attached Thumbnails dvf-front.jpg   dvf-back.jpg   dvf-top-15-1-.jpg   dvf-underneath.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Hi Amelia,

Your Davis is called a "New High Arm" or VF1 and were made with a few variations from approximately 1882-1893 in Watertown, NY and Dayton, Ohio. The Davis has no feed dogs as the underside photo shows and the material is advanced by the needle and helper foot . The owners manual shows some good pics of the shuttle, cabinets and use of attachments. I don't think you'll have any problems locating a shuttle.

http://www.ismacs.net/davis/manuals/davis-vf-manual.pdf

Good Luck
Jon
Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 AM

Thanks Jon - great link for the manual. Hadn't even made it to ISMACS yet - I'm so used to them not having info on any of my other machines (German, Italian, Japanese) that I didn't even think to look!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Banned

Here is my VF1 to compare Machine and Treadle.
I'll take shuttle pics when I get home if there isn't one posted by someone else by then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483067[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483068[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-11-24-20.42.29.jpg   2013-11-24-20.41.54.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM

Davis advertisement for early VF1 cabinet styles and pricing. Bobbin winder mounted on irons.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails 0001.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

here are two pic of my VF1 Shuttle and bobbin (grid is 1/5")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483321[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483322[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140714_222730_sm.jpg   20140714_222753_sm.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Wow, thanks Jon and thanks Steve. That is amazingly helpful.

Well... I've just got back from picking up the machines and I have to say I've had the most fantastic time talking to the guy who was selling them and his partner - they were lovely and it turns out his background is in engineering and he has really enjoyed collecting machines and restoring the cabinets and things over the years. I really regret my earlier comments about the way the machines were listed. I guess we are so used to people knowing less about what it is they're selling, but in any case, I wish I hadn't written about it in that way. It doesn't reflect the kind of person I'd like to be; and I think it says more about my own insecurities than it does about anything else (that's something I AM prepared to say publicly!)

So, it's been a fantastic experience... it's reminded me that the exchange between buyer and seller is one of the aspects of this hobby that can be the most enjoyable. So lovely to meet a kindred spirit and someone who can talk for hours about all the wonderful details that we have come to know and love about these machines.

It's dark now and not a good time to explore the machine itself, but I did want to come on and go some way toward making amends for my unnecessary snideness. I am most ashamed of myself and will go and sit in the naughty corner for a while....
Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
here are two pic of my VF1 Shuttle and bobbin (grid is 1/5")
Steve, I'm just going to go and check if the machine rattles right now!!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Steve, I'm just going to go and check if the machine rattles right now!!
She checked and it didn't rattle with the shuttle of success

OK, now to the 15-1. It seems to have been painted over (decals have a thin black paint on top) so after 10 minutes with the car cutting compound I'm down to the colour of the decals. Obviously if I continue the decals will be no more, so ... will paint thinner harm decals? I don't think it contains alcohol, but will it dissolve this lovely picture?

If nobody knows I'll do the usual and try and find an inconspicuous area to test.

Just as a side issue: this machine seems to be incompatible with all my other Singer 15 parts. No wonder it wasn't officially called the same thing: They seem to have re-designed every component. Everyone I spoke to said it'd be easy to find an upper tension mechanism to fit. Ha! Not only doesn't that fit, but the end plate in the IF is slightly offset as well, so it won't go on either. Again...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM

So the paint isn't the dreaded alligator stuff? Mineral spirits (the real stuff) or real turpentine, may be helpful, but I've had some substitutes for them do funny things, like turn gold to green. I bought tiny bottle of turp at art sply. Def test in inconspicuous are, and check later after evaporation or whatever it is, to see if it hazes or fogs.